· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

have a gift.....for the word game - angelcakes   Here you go Mandy! :-) - digital3   Here is another one! - William   Here's another. LOL - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Just for always being so nice! - William   
    Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - MandyL   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - MandyL   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - MandyL   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - MandyL   

Default new setup - questions on the light

0 Not allowed!
    Hello! I haven't been here for 10 years, I don't know if anyone is still here from then! Anyways, I haven't had a proper planted tank in many years and I'm starting over with a little 15 gallon Fluval kit. I'm assuming it will be a low tech, low light tank but I wanted to check the stats with you and see what you think. The light is Watts 10.8, Lux 2450, Color temp 7500 K, LEDs 48 + 6 RGB. Also it comes with a remote to change the colors, I can't program it to % like I see on some of these posts but it allows me to change between shades of red, green, and blue, or just white. For plants would I just leave it on the white? I don't understand how the colors would affect the plants. I also have a question on water chemistry but I'll post that in the appropriate section once I figure out how much RO water I'm adding and see my numbers. :) Thanks!
    Starting over
    15 gal to be a planted community

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    If it is the Fluval Flex then yes the white light that comes with it will be adequate to support plant species that can survive in low-light conditions. Try sticking with rhizome plants like buce and anubias as those do well under subdued lighting, as well as cryptocoryne species.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

have a gift.....for the word game - angelcakes   Here you go Mandy! :-) - digital3   Here is another one! - William   Here's another. LOL - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Just for always being so nice! - William   
    Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - MandyL   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - MandyL   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - MandyL   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - MandyL   

0 Not allowed!
    Awesome thank you! Yes it’s the Fluval Flex. It is also capable of having the white light on and also add a coloured light on top of it. Would either red, green, or blue light matter to the plants if it is additional to the white? Or is that just personal preference?
    Starting over
    15 gal to be a planted community

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    Plants don't use green, its why they look green to us-they reflect it. They do use red and blue and purple (who would have thought, lol) wavelengths.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    Nat is absolutely correct.

From my understanding, blue will help overall growth in the leaves and stems, whereas red helps with roots and the flowering/budding of a plant.

For the most part, though, I don't think you'll notice much of a difference one way or the other in a low-light, low-tech setup. You could alternate between the red and blue, if you wanted, or just pick whichever one provides you with the most pleasing aesthetics. :)