· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

Default Recommendations on RO/DI unit?

0 Not allowed!
    Hello,

Looking for any recommendations on a budget friendly, easy set up and low maintenance unit that will produce about 50-100 gallons/day.

Complete with this stuff. Learning to do a lot of new things with this fishroom setup
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    Hello,

Looking for any recommendations on a budget friendly, easy set up and low maintenance unit that will produce about 50-100 gallons/day.

Complete with this stuff. Learning to do a lot of new things with this fishroom setup

Do you have hard water? What's the TDS like?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Duno the TDS, but the gh is 6, kh is 5 and pH is 7.4. The RO water will be used mainly in the lowboy where I will be adding these

https://www.seriouslyfish.com/specie...anio-axelrodi/

and these
    https://www.seriouslyfish.com/specie...ras-brigittae/

https://www.seriouslyfish.com/specie...io-semicincta/

https://www.seriouslyfish.com/specie...sphromenoides/

Though other tanks will get a little RO with WC too.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Was looking for my TDS meter but it has disappeared...

Strongly thinking of the RO/DI Buddy, the reviews seem good and the online videos seem straightforward regarding setup-at least the 2 videos I have been able to see that go beyond just an unboxing.

Sis hosts a fish forum on Discord, and a lot of the members there use it without issue. Guess we just don't have enough traffic here for anyone to chime in. Or they are like me and half of the new posts just don't appear...
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    I bought my RO Buddie at the beginning of July '17, so just slightly more than a full two years of service for me. I use the 4-stage version.

It is easy to set up and requires almost zero tools provided you have scissors/blade to cut your tubing to length, and a drill if you plan on mounting it to something. The main/large RO membrane cartridge is the workhorse and removes almost everything from the water. RO membranes can be damaged by chemicals and become clogged easily, so that is why there are carbon and sediment pre-filter cartridges that do their thing on the water before it gets to the RO membrane. Those three cartridges are the first three "stages." The 4th stage is the optional DI resin cartridge. The RO will drive your TDS down all the way to about 3-5ppm by itself, which is impressive, but if you want truly pure water with 0ppm registering on your meter you need the DI cartridge. For some weird reason, Amazon is selling the 4-stage Buddie for less than the 3-stage configuration, so there isn't really any reason not to opt for the extra stage

In the two years I've had it, I've only had to change my RO, carbon, and sediment filters just once. The DI resin exhausts itself much more quickly and I change it several times a year. Instead of buying replacement DI cartridges, though, I bought a large bag of the resin (the color-changing version) and simply dump out the old resin and replace it with fresh stuff myself. A single replacement cartridge is almost as expensive as a bag that could refill said cartridge multiple times.

Keep in mind that your mileage on the different cartridges will vary depending on your source water. My water is sitting around 130-150ppm on my TDS meter. Someone with higher levels will exhaust the cartridges up more quickly than me, requiring more frequent replacements.

One thing I did notice with my RO Buddie is that my flow rates are not consistent, which is something you may want to consider when comparing different models/brands/GPD ratings. When I had my original RO cartridge, I was filling up a 1gal milk jug all the way up to the very brim once every 15mins - almost down to the second. This equated to nearly 100 gallons of purified water per day, which was a pleasant surprise since I had purchased the 50GPD version. Although the water temperature changes over the seasons had an impact on my filtration rates (warmer water seems to process quicker than cold water), I was still getting much higher GPD rates than advertised. HOWEVER, when the time eventually came to where I had to replace my RO cartridge, I experienced a fairly noticeable drop in filtration rate. Before the swap, I could fill my buckets to the 4gal line in almost an hour flat. After replacing the cartridge, it takes about 20 mins longer to fill up the buckets to the same line.

Was the original RO cartridge defective? I don't think so because it consistently drove my TDS down to the 3-5ppm range which is identical to the filtration performance of this newer cartridge, despite slower flow rates. I'm leaning more towards the belief that I simply received the 100GPD model on accident when I originally ordered it from Amazon.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    I think you may have already seen this when I posted it a couple years back but here is a vid I made on the unit. Not sure if it has any information you haven’t already dug up yourself but wanted to post it anyway haha

Edit: after watching the video I noticed a discrepancy in what I believed I was getting pre-DI bed. In the video I claimed I was seeing about 17ppm. I don’t know why I was thinking I was seeing less than ten since then. I am almost certain I was seeing 3-5ppm but I’m wondering if that was maybe when the DI bed was beginning to fail or something...?? I dunno.
    Last edited by BluewaterBoof; 07-24-2019 at 09:15 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    I think you may have already seen this when I posted it a couple years back but here is a vid I made on the unit. Not sure if it has any information you haven’t already dug up yourself but wanted to post it anyway haha

Edit: after watching the video I noticed a discrepancy in what I believed I was getting pre-DI bed. In the video I claimed I was seeing about 17ppm. I don’t know why I was thinking I was seeing less than ten since then. I am almost certain I was seeing 3-5ppm but I’m wondering if that was maybe when the DI bed was beginning to fail or something...?? I dunno.
    No I didn't see this video, thanks for posting it. I think I will be going with this system. I see it has a top off additional feature that I can hook up to a brute and allow this to run while I am away without any overflow/spillage issues. Thanks again!
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore