· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   Happy New year - Celtic Fins   May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins   2001 posts! - Northernguy   For your helpful fry advice - Cliff   

1 Not allowed!
    I've had aquariums and fish nearly my whole life. They became much more interesting when I was old enough to choose my own fish, lol. I bred a number of different species of cichlids, catfish, and of course livebearers. I had a couple dozen tanks running, and uncounted thousands of dollars invested over the years. Finally got tired of changing water, got rid of most of the fish, and switched my focus to snakes instead. I still have the 220 running, with a number of fish from other tanks that ended up in there, haven't added any fish for several years now. I've lost a few of the older cichlids, but the yellow Lab's keep breeding (and adding a new resident occasionally) along with the bristlenose pleco's, while the silver dollars and botia's seem like they'll go on forever. I've thought about taking down the 220 as well a couple times, but that seems like more trouble than keeping it running, and some of those fish are more like pets than ornamentals.

^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks...^^^

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhistlingBadger View Post
    Well, this is a strange coincidence. I was in town today when Mrs. Badger called to tell me that Pearl had died! Wish I could say that made the decision easier...
    Sorry to hear this, Thomas
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    Oh my, sorry to read about Pearl. Guessing you have decided to take the bigger tanks down?
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on 3,000, have an oyster! (?) - Slaphppy7   For giving your daughter a tank, scaping rights included! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   sorry to hear about your knee. since you dont drink herea a slice - bpete   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    Oh my, sorry to read about Pearl. Guessing you have decided to take the bigger tanks down?
    No, I haven't decided anything yet. Just thinking it over. Considering taking down the 55 and re-creating the 29 into something new.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Welcome Back! - Boundava   Here is a coral to tide you over until you decide what to get for your 40 - bpete   Sorry for the ich, you'll defeat it. - mch1984   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    I'm sorry to hear about Pearl. I hope your badgerling didn't take the loss too hard. I'll cast a vote in favor of the 29g. I'd like to set up one of those again myself someday.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    The 29 recreation seems like a great idea, looking forward to see what you do with it.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

2 Not allowed!
    Hey Thomas.

I'm so glad you have this place to work your thoughts out, here. It is work, too... and personal. Something that every person has to do for themselves - but only if they personally wish to do so. (It always amazes me that there really are folks out there who would rather - purposefully - not. but there is my own ramble)

You. You have to be the one, because it is for you.

I can only offer my own perspective as an example, and you can determine if you relate, or not.
    For me personally, I have been striving toward 'living more authentically me' for a few years now. (Maybe 6? Perhaps more like 8 years. Guessing under a decade... but I do lose track of time) It has been a lot of (emotional, mental) work and still has yet to be complete. But the work is worthwhile and I do see great benefits. I'm beginning to think this is very likely one of those on-going journeys of life, even.

It sounds as if you have been doing the same sort of work yourself.
    For me, in my life, I found (to my great surprise) that I actually enjoy most of my chores. Perhaps it is that I enjoy them 'being done', or maybe it is the process of some of those, or in some cases, it is what those chores represent that brings me the pleasure.

Whatever it is that you decide, I do hope you remain in touch here. I offer my support to you as you find the path that is right for you, and am always ready to listen to your rambles.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhistlingBadger View Post

these tanks are so stable I've actually grown pretty bored with them. I barely spend any time working with my home tanks--partly because they're so stable they actually require very little input from me--and when I do, I don't get much out of it. It just feels like another chore. I rarely spend time staring at my tanks any more, enjoying the antics and beauty of the fish. It's just another thing on the to-do list.

I find watching the fish swim around very relaxing, and maintaining the tank is the price to pay for that entertainment. If (as you mentioned) I should stop enjoying watching the fish, then it is actually good to quit... since it is just all work and no fun.