· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

South Central Maryland- Washington DC Suburbs

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom   For your patience and tenacity! - Slaphppy7   

Default I may have got scammed.

0 Not allowed!
    I was in Richmond last week and browsed a few aquarium stores. One store was selling "Black Diamond Stingray" for only $400. I thought that was strange since Dark Brown Lepoldis sell for $400 and "Black Diamonds" sell for $700 and up. In the store it looked Black so I bought it. Well at home it some times looks very dark Brown and some times black. Why I also think it's not a "Black Diamond" does not have any Black spots underneath.IMG_20190702_2101126.jpg
    IMG_20190702_2101059.jpg
    180 Gallon:
    1-Motoro Stingray
    1- Mantilla hybrid Stingray
    1- Black Henlei/Leopoldi hybrid Stingray
    1- 14" Spotted Gar

40 gallon Breeder grow out tank:
    1- 6 Tiger Shovelnose Catfish

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

2 Not allowed!
    I don't think you were scammed. Not all LFS are good at identifying what they are getting, and simply goes by what the vendor tells them, who could also have made a mistake on their paperwork. Even then you purchased it for the price of a Dark Brown Lepoldis.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I agree that there is a potential for a simple misidentification. When my LFS first started bringing in some of the "nano" fish folks were asking for several years ago, their first batch of chili rasboras or Boraras brigittae turned out to be Boraras urophthalmoides. They were tiny, hard to really identify having never seen them in person before, and I bought a group. Very shortly after, however, I realized they were not chili rasboras and let the store know. They agreed as they had not been familiar either at that time with these smaller fish. They turned out to be a really great group of fish, however, and I had them for a very long time.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    I'll chime in and agree with Sue and Rocksor. I've lost count of the times I've gone into a shop and saw mislabeled animals. I've pointed it out on occasion to the employees and they will confirm what Rocksor said about how they are simply labeling them based on the information provided by whatever vendor they ordered the fish from.

I'd definitely lean away from scam. As Rocksor pointed out, you paid fair market price for a brown sting and most likely got a brown sting. Now if you had paid the market price of a black diamond - which you mentioned was several hundred dollars more - and got the brown sting, then that's a bit different and I would have been on the phone with the shop at that point if it had happened to me.

I understand your disappointment and that's a shame you ended up with an animal that wasn't exactly what you were hoping for. If it's any consolation, I think your new guy is beautiful, regardless of whether it is black or brown.

South Central Maryland- Washington DC Suburbs

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom   For your patience and tenacity! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah a local fish store of mine was selling a Mantilla Stingray as a Motoro and it clearly wasn’t. So it does happen. Well maybe I just saved myself money for my 300g I’m buying in October.

I kind of had though of the price not being of a Black Diamond, but I bought it anyway.
    Last edited by freshwaterfishlover; 07-03-2019 at 10:39 PM.
    180 Gallon:
    1-Motoro Stingray
    1- Mantilla hybrid Stingray
    1- Black Henlei/Leopoldi hybrid Stingray
    1- 14" Spotted Gar

40 gallon Breeder grow out tank:
    1- 6 Tiger Shovelnose Catfish