· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Recent catches

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on 3,000, have an oyster! (?) - Slaphppy7   For giving your daughter a tank, scaping rights included! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   sorry to hear about your knee. since you dont drink herea a slice - bpete   

Default Recent catches

3 Not allowed!
    Badgerling caught a grayling on a worm, and I "caught" a bunch of carp with an arrow! We let the grayling go--they aren't that good to eat, and anyway they're so beautiful it would feel like eating the Mona Lisa. As for the carp, well, just doing my part to control invasive species, because I'm all about environmental stewardship and all that.

IMG_0061.jpg

2019061395083748.jpg

2019061395080132.jpg

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Nice!....looks like it was a fun day on the water
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

3 Not allowed!
    Badgerling is adorable, as always! She looks so delighted with her skills. Y'all are making wonderful memories.

'Hunting' fish with your bow and arrow... now that's impressive.

My husband and I showed the kids the movie Cast Away (on a fittingly rainy, stormy evening) a couple of nights ago. You'd do alright, should you ever find yourself stranded someplace.

Me? I'd never be able to get that fire going.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on 3,000, have an oyster! (?) - Slaphppy7   For giving your daughter a tank, scaping rights included! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   sorry to hear about your knee. since you dont drink herea a slice - bpete   

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Nice!....looks like it was a fun day on the water
    It was great. :)

Quote Originally Posted by RiversGirl View Post
    'Hunting' fish with your bow and arrow... now that's impressive.
    It's called bowfishing. One straps a reel onto the front of one's bow, then attaches the string to the arrow with a little sliding ring. The arrow is made of indestructible fiberglass, with a point like a harpoon. Once the carp is perforated, one puts one's bow down and pulls it in on the line. One of the more redneck things i've done, which is saying something. Great fun! And removing these critters really is good for the environment. Win-win!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    Interesting. Thanks for explaining the sport!
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I'm wondering what the survival success rate is for caught and released fish such as that Grayling, once they've been hooked and are put back into the water, wounded? It would probably depend on how deeply the hook went into them, how carefully it was dislodged, or if the line was cut with the hook still in -- the chances of that causing infection that would later kill the released fish -- I'm just wondering if it isn't better, once a fish is caught, to go ahead and keep it and eat it? What are your ideas on that?
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mermaidwannabe View Post
    I'm wondering what the survival success rate is for caught and released fish such as that Grayling, once they've been hooked and are put back into the water, wounded? It would probably depend on how deeply the hook went into them, how carefully it was dislodged, or if the line was cut with the hook still in -- the chances of that causing infection that would later kill the released fish -- I'm just wondering if it isn't better, once a fish is caught, to go ahead and keep it and eat it? What are your ideas on that?
    Good question. A lot of it depends on how the fish is hooked, and for cold-water fish like trout and grayling, how warm it is. With fly fishing, the survival rate tends to be very high, because fly-caught fish usually get off with just a pierced lip and nothing more. However, if it's really warm, the oxygen in the water is lower. Even though the actual damage is minimal, the fight can exhaust the fish to the point where it is unable recover. This is especially true with the light tackle most fly fishermen favor, where the fish has to be played and tired out, rather than just horsed right out of the water.

With bait it's harder to let them go, because the fish tend to swallow the hook rather than just get hooked in the corner of the mouth. Badgerling's fish was lucky and the hook popped right out. However, the water was fairly warm, and I had to swish it back and forth in the water for a while before it revived enough to swim away on its own power. That didn't feel too good, so we quit fishing after that and looked for crawdads and water bugs instead.
    Last edited by WhistlingBadger; 07-02-2019 at 01:29 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

3 Not allowed!
    (the survival rate for arrowed carp is quite low, no matter what the water temperature is)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons: