· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

Default This is worth teaching kids, today ...

1 Not allowed!
    I was balancing my checkbook, when the calculator malfunctioned. It wouldn't clear. It wouldn't shut off. And, it wouldn't punch in any new numbers.

Fortunately, I had been taught to do basic arithmetic on paper when I was in elementary school. I was taught to add and subtract, "the old fashioned way". So, I was able to balance my checkbook in spite of the calculator. The calculator was a convenience, NOT a necessity.

Kids in schools today are taught almost exclusively on machines. If those machines malfunction, and they don't have the basic methods to fall back on. They're stuck.

We as a society, raising up a new crop of youngsters, need to teach them the basics, and teach them in the simple ways in which I learned. Everything today has been made so complicated -- needlessly. The more advanced and sophisticated the technology, the more complicated it becomes to use, to repair, to understand. Not to mention more costly.

Even the "on paper" math methods taught in today's school systems are so different than how we seniors were taught math that parents can't even help their kids with homework, anymore, because it has become so foreign to them.

A father recently revealed that he tried to teach his teenager to do a math problem in the way he was taught, and the kid protested that she would "get in trouble" if she didn't do it the way her teacher wanted it done. Finally, the father told her that if that teacher gave her any trouble over it to let him know, and HE would have a chat with that teacher. The work got done, and it was correct, and that's all that should have mattered. And, the kid would have learned another, perhaps simpler, way of doing it. Not a bad thing, at all.

We are in for a massive rude awakening if our power grids suffer widespread failures and stay down for any substantial period of time. We have become way too dependent upon our ultra-modern technology. Everyone needs some simple back-up learning to pull them through in an emergency. A lot of kids aren't getting it these days, and could be in real trouble if things go wrong on a massive scale.

BTW -- there was the teenager who failed to get a job because she could only tell time on a digital clock and had no clue how to read the analog clock that hung on the wall of the shop she wanted to work in.
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I loved math and in fact my college degree is in math. Problem solving of any sort may have taken a bit longer, but it was so much more fun back then! I remember at my first full time job we, the "clerks", had large adding machines, not calculators. The supervisors got the first generation calculators and we waited breathlessly for them to upgrade so we could get their hand-me-downs. It was a real treat.

But I can't remember the last time I balanced a checkbook; I'm surprised you still do that.