· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crazy night!

South Central Maryland- Washington DC Suburbs

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom   For your patience and tenacity! - Slaphppy7   

Default Crazy night!

0 Not allowed!
    yesterday I setup a 40G breeder tank. It consisted of a Aquaclear 70 filter and a Ehiem 100w heater from Petsmart. I had put the 5 1/2" Tiger Shovels Catfish from the 180g that's been in there for 3 or so weeks into the 40g to grow it out since it as has been getting attacked by my Gar and it always hides because of this. I also put a 3" Longnose Gar into the 40g.
    The filter worked great, but the heater seemed to not work. It would not light up, but though it was just because my tank water was at 77F and the heater was set for 75F.
    Well this morning the water temp was down to 71F and the heater light was not on. Well I woke up to 2 dead fish!
    Either the temperature swing killed them or the heater sent out some kind Electricity I did not know about. It was to soon for the ammonia to spike up and kill them.
    180 Gallon:
    1-Motoro Stingray
    1- Mantilla hybrid Stingray
    1- Black Henlei/Leopoldi hybrid Stingray
    1- 14" Spotted Gar

40 gallon Breeder grow out tank:
    1- 6 Tiger Shovelnose Catfish

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I just realized why my fish died. Forgot to add Chlorine conditioner to the water. Im a fish killer.
    180 Gallon:
    1-Motoro Stingray
    1- 14" Spotted Gar

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry to hear that. I think most of us have killed some fish here and there for various reason. Always feels like a kick to the tenders.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Bet you won't forget THAT, again. Chlorine can be a little rough on aquatic life ... But do remember that you're only human, and nobody's perfect.

Did you ever figure out why the heater didn't work?
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Everything I bought from Petsmart. The heater and Thermometer too. I think Both are broken. I returned the 100w Ehiem heater to Petsmart and got another Eheim 100w heater from my LFS. The new heater works and is set to 75F, but the thermometer still reads 68-69F.
    180 Gallon:
    1-Motoro Stingray
    1- 14" Spotted Gar

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Actually, I'd suggest a 150w heater for a 40g tank. What is your room temp? Which thermometer are you using to record tank temp?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    Agree ^
    (like Sue has suggested) I run a 150 watt (Cobalt) on my 40 gallon.

I had always struggled to correctly calibrate my Ehiem heater, so I removed it. If you are still able to return it, (and wish to) I really like the Cobalt line.

I've been happy with my Aqueon heater on a smaller tank, as well. But if I were looking for a good, dependable heater for another tank, I'd certainly get another Cobalt.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I have 2 Ehiem on my 180 and both thermometer read exactly what the heaters are set to. Im using mercury thermometers in both tanks.
    180 Gallon:
    1-Motoro Stingray
    1- 14" Spotted Gar

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    If you are happy with your equipment, that's what matters.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on 3,000, have an oyster! (?) - Slaphppy7   For giving your daughter a tank, scaping rights included! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   sorry to hear about your knee. since you dont drink herea a slice - bpete   

1 Not allowed!
    Bummer on the chlorine. Most of us have probably done that one. Live and learn.

I used to have an Eheim heater, and I hated it, but I have a thing against unnecessarily complicated equipment. I'm a K.I.S.S. kind of guy.