· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Looking for info

0 Not allowed!
    Hi there I have been a long time keep of all sorts and have had little to no issues. Have kept everything from Discus to both predator and reef salt water tanks. Now I have never really been much into breeding but since the last year or so we decided to get another aquarium for the family. Its basically just a fresh water tank 65 gallons and has perfect water. I test it once week to make sure everything is where is should be an no issues. Live plants are growing rapidly and flourishing.

Now on to the big question. I have had 2 large palm sized female angels die after laying about 4 to 6 batches of eggs. Most of them seem to hatch but due to the fact its a community tank and other fish they tend to get eaten by parent or other fish. They both spawned about every 2 weeks or so with no issues. SO....the first angel died to me it seemed like she was egg bound. The second looked to be the same. Both looked fine but almost died instantly one day without any signs they were in trouble.

I do not understand whats going on. All I can figure is there is something in there diet or lacking in there diet from laying eggs or its a natural thing that happens and they can only lay eggs so many times. Its very sad to say the least. I even have 3 blue australian rainbows one of which has been dropping eggs and feeding the the tank every so often only cause either no male or none that are ready. So I know everything else is ok except for the angels with eggs.

Food i feed is high end flake food, frozen brine shrimp, frozen blood shrimp, and high end pellets and bug bites.

Please any help would be appreciated.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Hi and welcome :) I'm sorry to hear you are running into this issue though. Idk if I have the answer, but I'll tell you my story.

Angelfish are very dear to me, I've been breeding many of them on and off for almost 15 years. I have ran into a sitch like you describe twice. The first ended up with a prolapsed bladder, and looking back I think there was a good chance she had callamanus worms. Then shortly after I moved another fish, she also bloated up in the abdomen and died. I didn't know enough to check for prolaspse at the time. Both happened within a couple months of eachother and never again.

These were both breeding angelfish who I thought were eggbound after spawning. But through all my research, I couldn't find a single confirmed report of an eggbound angelfish, so I'll say I'm not sure they can even become eggbound from what I was reading.

My gold pearlscale mama has been spawning every 12 days for years. She has slowed down to once a month or so, but she is at least 7 years old now and continues to lay eggs and care for them the best she can in the community tank.

I read that female angelfish have a certain amount of eggs in their lifetime determined from genetics. Some will have less than others. But they definitely don't die after laying a certain amount of eggs normally.

What brands of food do you feed? I feed mostly NLS, NorthFin and Omega One pellets. I barely feed them frozen unless I want them to breed. No problems for years. My understanding is that prepared foods is all fish need for nutrition. Frozen foods are more just treat. For young angels and fry, nothing beats live food though ;)

I'm curious what others have to say about this. I really don't know what causes this. Do you happen to have a photo?

Here's one of my girls
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=122961
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat