· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: D day

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a cory for all your great pics ;-) - steeler58   Have a cory for all your great pics ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

Default D day

5 Not allowed!
    Out of honor and respect for all Allied Forces that fought for our freedom the Dutch Broadcasting Company have come up with a really great idea.

Today's journalists, correspondents and news readers bring "news" and footage from 75 years ago as if it is happening right now. Even "weatherforcasts" are given.

Incredibly well done and makes an awesome salute to all those brave men and women !

No Cory, No Glory !!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    How neat is that...thanks for posting it
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Silbar   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Silbar   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Silbar   

2 Not allowed!
    I was fortunate to be able to visit Normandy and the American Cemetery at Omaha Beach several years ago. Watching all of the 75 yr Anniversary celebrations and hearing from some of the WWII vets it is truly emotional what those young men went through. My thanks and prayers go out to all of them.
    Sil's 2nd Time Around 75G...Journal
    Sil's 75G...Journal
    Sil's 20L...Journal
    Sil's 10G...Journal

RIP Deb, we miss you.

Real courage is moving forward when the outcome is uncertain~~Fortune Cookie

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

3 Not allowed!
    That must have been an incredibly moving place to visit, Sil.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    I agree with Slap. That's really neat. I wish I understood their language so that I could better appreciate the broadcast.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a cory for all your great pics ;-) - steeler58   Have a cory for all your great pics ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

4 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    I agree with Slap. That's really neat. I wish I understood their language so that I could better appreciate the broadcast.
    That was actually the reason why the Dutch weren't present at the landings.

Dutch is similar to German and they were afraid of mix ups. Only English speaking soldiers landed. Later Dutch, French and Polish forces joined in.

In the "news" : The "correspondent in Berlin" mentioned Hitler had a bad waking up that day : UNDERSTATEMENT.

I've only visited the American Cemetry in Margraten (every year candles are lit by schoolchildren) but definitely will visit Normandy. Friend of my is in Normandy at this moment (Every year). Did send me this pic. Is it a Sherman ?
    No Cory, No Glory !!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Could be, there were a handful of different models (variants) of the M4

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M4_Sherman

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on 3,000, have an oyster! (?) - Slaphppy7   For giving your daughter a tank, scaping rights included! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   sorry to hear about your knee. since you dont drink herea a slice - bpete   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDutch View Post
    That was actually the reason why the Dutch weren't present at the landings.

Dutch is similar to German and they were afraid of mix ups. Only English speaking soldiers landed. Later Dutch, French and Polish forces joined in.
    Interesting! I didn't know that, but it makes sense. Those first few days were so incredibly chaotic, I can only imagine the further confusion that would have resulted from language barriers, too.

In the "news" : The "correspondent in Berlin" mentioned Hitler had a bad waking up that day : UNDERSTATEMENT.
    Reminds me of the Siege of Acre (1190) when King Philip had an enormous trebuchet built, which he named "Bad Neighbor." (He had a flair for weapon names:
    According to some accounts, Bad Neighbor had a twin named "God's Own Catapult")

Anyway, yeah, it was the start of a long series of really bad days for Adolph and the gang. Those men (and women--I've been reading a bit about forward hospitals in France and Italy lately, and those nurses were in some serious action) quite literally saved the world. I hope later generations never forget it.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhistlingBadger View Post
    Interesting! I didn't know that, but it makes sense. Those first few days were so incredibly chaotic, I can only imagine the further confusion that would have resulted from language barriers, too.

Reminds me of the Siege of Acre (1190) when King Philip had an enormous trebuchet built, which he named "Bad Neighbor." (He had a flair for weapon names:
    According to some accounts, Bad Neighbor had a twin named "God's Own Catapult")

Anyway, yeah, it was the start of a long series of really bad days for Adolph and the gang. Those men (and women--I've been reading a bit about forward hospitals in France and Italy lately, and those nurses were in some serious action) quite literally saved the world. I hope later generations never forget it.
    Here they definitely never will !
    No Cory, No Glory !!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    I think I'd love living there, Aad...maybe when I make my first million $ and can leave the States I will search you out, lol