· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your son's recovery - Slaphppy7   Healing prayers for Henry - RiversGirl   DIY water chnager, nice job! - Slaphppy7   My heart goes out to you and your little boy.  He is so strong and so are you. - angelcraze2   Healing prayers for little Henry (superman) - Silbar   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   

Default Cories with fin rot.

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 38 gallon long tank that has been established for about 8 or 9 months that currently has 7 harlequin Rasboras and 5 cories. The cories have been in the tank the entire time I have had it.

I do regular water changes and keep the tank very clean. Water changes are always between 40 and 50% and typically done every 6-10 days. If I ever go more than a week I try and do an extra 25% change in between.

Ammonia always zero nitrates never above 10 but typically 5.

In the past I had a school of serape who did a lot of fin nipping especially to the cories and then it was one of my danios that was constantly nipping.

About a month ago I started to notice what looked like fin rot on a couple of the cories which was just overall jagged find with a rip here or there.

I moved the danios to my QT tank which I think might be their permanent home now and did a 25% water change the same day. A few days later I did another water change this time of about 45% about a week went by and the fin rot didnít really get any worse but it didnít get better either. This time I did another water change and then began treatment with Melafix. I did the standard 7 day treatment and still didnít seem like the rot was any better. On the 8th day I did a 25% WC and then monitored the fish for 6 days and once again saw little to no improvement. I then did another 40-45% WC and followed it with 6 days of Melafix. Still the same mild to moderate fin rot. Tonight I did another 45-50% WC. They are just as active as ever and not showing any other signs of illness.

Another thing I have thought of is nutrition. I normally feed spirulina flakes and shrimp pellets with the occasional freeze dried blood worms. I think this is adequate but maybe itís getting stale as itís been around more a few months?

Crazy that I now get fin rot after getting rid of the serapes and somehow avoided it for 6 months when I had them in the tank harassing them.

Oh and itís a black sand substrate with just a tiny amount of orange aquarium gravel mixed in for color.

Suggestions??!!
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your son's recovery - Slaphppy7   Healing prayers for Henry - RiversGirl   DIY water chnager, nice job! - Slaphppy7   My heart goes out to you and your little boy.  He is so strong and so are you. - angelcraze2   Healing prayers for little Henry (superman) - Silbar   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   

0 Not allowed!
    Really wanting to get this figured out so that I can add a small school of rhombo(snakeskin) barbs that we have our hearts set on.
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a cory for all your great pics ;-) - steeler58   Have a cory for all your great pics ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Got any pics? Waterchanges and Indiqn Almond woukd be my first choice.
    No Cory, No Glory !!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDutch View Post
    Got any pics? Waterchanges and Indiqn Almond woukd be my first choice.
    I don’t have any pictures. But there is no discoloration or anything and they act healthy. One or two of them pretty much look perfect, another 2 have just slightly shorter and jagged tail/dorsal fins. And the third looks the same as the last 2 mentioned only it also has one single rip in the tailfin.

Indiqn almond? What is that exactly. And obviously I’m doing water changes but would you recommend doing even more?
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a cory for all your great pics ;-) - steeler58   Have a cory for all your great pics ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mspringer View Post
    I donít have any pictures. But there is no discoloration or anything and they act healthy. One or two of them pretty much look perfect, another 2 have just slightly shorter and jagged tail/dorsal fins. And the third looks the same as the last 2 mentioned only it also has one single rip in the tailfin.

Indiqn almond? What is that exactly. And obviously Iím doing water changes but would you recommend doing even more?
    Indian Almond leaves have a anti bacterial working. Adding leaves might be a good idea.
    No Cory, No Glory !!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDutch View Post
    Indian Almond leaves have a anti bacterial working. Adding leaves might be a good idea.
    So if I understand you correctly, your suggesting to buy some of these leaves and then scatter them on the bottom of the tank?

If so, how many? How thick of a layer? Would you just leave them in there all of the time? You sick then out as they degrade?
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mspringer View Post
    So if I understand you correctly, your suggesting to buy some of these leaves and then scatter them on the bottom of the tank?

If so, how many? How thick of a layer? Would you just leave them in there all of the time? You sick then out as they degrade?
    That might help as a natural treatment / prevention (together with waterchanges)
    If these won't work, I think you'll need real meds.

I've used those and other leaves (beech / oak) in my Corytanks. I've pretty "natural" tanks so deacaying leaves are not an issue .
    Now and then I suck up the remaining peaces / sterns.

No Cory, No Glory !!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Let's see what happens. Finloss isn't always caused by bacterial finrot.
    No Cory, No Glory !!