· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your son's recovery - Slaphppy7   Healing prayers for Henry - RiversGirl   DIY water chnager, nice job! - Slaphppy7   My heart goes out to you and your little boy.  He is so strong and so are you. - angelcraze2   Healing prayers for little Henry (superman) - Silbar   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   

0 Not allowed!
    Bump, any thoughts as to what I have going on in the tank?
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your son's recovery - Slaphppy7   Healing prayers for Henry - RiversGirl   DIY water chnager, nice job! - Slaphppy7   My heart goes out to you and your little boy.  He is so strong and so are you. - angelcraze2   Healing prayers for little Henry (superman) - Silbar   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   

0 Not allowed!
    So I have another Cory that is getting more pale in colors than the others along with some of those lesions like the one picture posted of the other inky it also has it on his back fin. Just did 50% WC and a full dose of paraguard after
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Also I put a plastic knife on the end of my siphon so that it sticks down into the sand and stirs it up as a vacuum. Didn’t really get much out of the sand still it seems pretty clean. Thoughts?
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    Can this cause immediate death? Say if a large amount of anaerobic bacteria is released at once? Or would it take a while and the fish would show ammonia toxicity symptoms? I'm curious about this, sorry for the hijack question.
    fish can die immediately from ammonia if the concentrations where high enough. A large amount of ammonia can be released, affect bottom fish first since they are exposed to it in the highest concentrations, and then be reduced to 0ppm by the BB within a 24 hour period.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Bump. Bump.
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mspringer View Post
    Also I put a plastic knife on the end of my siphon so that it sticks down into the sand and stirs it up as a vacuum. Didn’t really get much out of the sand still it seems pretty clean. Thoughts?
    Why not just the tubing?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    I second that ^ When trying to clean the substrate it is best to shove the nozzle down in there. If you grab the other end of the hose and place your finger over it, you will slow down the suction and can make little adjustments that allow you to suck up the debris down deep in the sand without actually sucking any of the sand out. I like to shove my nozzle in deep, let it suck up a good portion of sand, and then slow the flow down so that the sand falls back out of the nozzle while all the lighter detritus stays suspended in the hose and gets sucked out.

Not only is it more effective at cleaning the sand down deep but it also minimizes all the crap that flies up into the water when you stir the sand.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    What how this person plunges the tube deep into her sand and then controls the flow to let the sand fall back out of the tube:

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    Why not just the tubing?
    It’s just another method I have seen is all so I thought I would try it.
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    I second that ^ When trying to clean the substrate it is best to shove the nozzle down in there. If you grab the other end of the hose and place your finger over it, you will slow down the suction and can make little adjustments that allow you to suck up the debris down deep in the sand without actually sucking any of the sand out. I like to shove my nozzle in deep, let it suck up a good portion of sand, and then slow the flow down so that the sand falls back out of the nozzle while all the lighter detritus stays suspended in the hose and gets sucked out.

Not only is it more effective at cleaning the sand down deep but it also minimizes all the crap that flies up into the water when you stir the sand.
    This is what I do too. I stop the siphon to let the sand fall back down and open again as it falls to suck up all the debris. I'm pretty confident I am getting it all, as I change places when it sucks clear.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat