· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a cory for all your great pics ;-) - steeler58   Have a cory for all your great pics ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    If it affects the pH it won't be enough to cause any harm to the animals. That's kind of what I was trying to get to with my long-winded post haha. Changes in pH from the leaves is nothing to worry about. As long as you continue doing your water changes on a decent schedule, like you are already doing, you shouldn't have to worry about shocking the animals provided you match the temperatures.

If it was my tank I'd boil the leaves, first, and bottle up the tea. Toss the leaves into the tank and pour a bit of the bottle tea into the water (this is mainly because it takes so long for the tannins to leech into the water when you just toss them in). After that, I would pour more of the tea into the tank with the fresh water at each water change to replenish some of what was taken out during the water change. It won't harm the fish if you don't do it this way, but it will keep the tannin levels up in the tank despite the water changes.
    I'd do some smaller WC's then
    No Cory, No Glory !!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDutch View Post
    I'd do some smaller WC's then
    It doesn't really matter one way or the other. Just depends on how involved the person wants to be. I do large (~70% or more) water changes with no ill effects but not everyone wants to change that much.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a cory for all your great pics ;-) - steeler58   Have a cory for all your great pics ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    It doesn't really matter one way or the other. Just depends on how involved the person wants to be. I do large (~70% or more) water changes with no ill effects but not everyone wants to change that much.
    I don't understand why / how but I seem to have completely misread your earlier post hahaha. Appologies !
    No Cory, No Glory !!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mspringer View Post
    Would you guys hesitate to use paraguard?
    Haven't caught up yet, but I like to use it in conjunction with IALs. Has to be IALs though because those are the ones that may prevent rot and infection. I always had good success with fdaily water changes, IALs and Stressguard. Fish healed up in 1 week from mild finrot. Two weeks for my EB ram to grow back her whole caudal. It's documented here
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...601&highlight=
    I also used salt for my ram, but I'd double check with @Rocksor if it's safe for cories.

Can you QT the new fish for now?
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 05-24-2019 at 08:14 PM.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your son's recovery - Slaphppy7   Healing prayers for Henry - RiversGirl   DIY water chnager, nice job! - Slaphppy7   My heart goes out to you and your little boy.  He is so strong and so are you. - angelcraze2   Healing prayers for little Henry (superman) - Silbar   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    It all depends on your KH value. At a KH of 8 degrees, it takes about 2 cups of sphagnum peat moss to cut the KH in half (4 degrees) for about 24 cups of water. Find out what your KH value is. 3 big leaves aren't as much as 2 cups of sphagnum peat moss.
    E804985E-2227-4FBF-BC77-515705A954A6.jpeg88B8B29F-6FE1-4D92-BE0D-A118ACE14BF1.jpeg
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your son's recovery - Slaphppy7   Healing prayers for Henry - RiversGirl   DIY water chnager, nice job! - Slaphppy7   My heart goes out to you and your little boy.  He is so strong and so are you. - angelcraze2   Healing prayers for little Henry (superman) - Silbar   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   

0 Not allowed!
    Hey everyone. All of the fins of the cories look good at this point no rips and all pretty smooth but I have one of the littlest ones that now has some sort of leasions on his side. I noticed this on Thursday but unfortunately had to leave for the hospital with my son. Got back Saturday and he looked about the same only his breathing was heavy. I started treatment of paraguard. As of yesterday his breathing seemed a bit better. He is the only one that has this the rest look in good shape.

Iím thinking maybe skin flukes?

Also noticed their barbells arenít very long one missing them all together. From everything I read thinking that this is also some sort of infection causing this not the substrate.

Thoughts?
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Well lost that one, thinking I’ll continue the meds for another 2-3 weeks to make sure no-one else gets it
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thoughts? Bump.
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry for the loss :(

Just wanted to say I thought you said StressCoat, not Paraguard.

But Paraguard is gentle enough to be used as a prophylactic, so I see no harm in a half dose.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post

But Paraguard is gentle enough to be used as a prophylactic, so I see no harm in a half dose.
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post

I think I’m missing something, why do you bring up a half dose?

I have been dosing at full dose for 5 days now and planned to do 21 days total. Assuming no signs of fin rot or other bacterial infection I will hope that all is well at that point.

This brings me to a question regauarding cleaning a tank with sand substrate. I typically just clean off the top and on occasion stir things up a bit but should I be doing a deeper clean with the sand like what would be done with gravel? I am just trying to think of other possibilities as to what might have caused a bacterial infection.
    ~Pray for Henry~

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast