· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a cory for all your great pics ;-) - steeler58   Have a cory for all your great pics ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    If it affects the pH it won't be enough to cause any harm to the animals. That's kind of what I was trying to get to with my long-winded post haha. Changes in pH from the leaves is nothing to worry about. As long as you continue doing your water changes on a decent schedule, like you are already doing, you shouldn't have to worry about shocking the animals provided you match the temperatures.

If it was my tank I'd boil the leaves, first, and bottle up the tea. Toss the leaves into the tank and pour a bit of the bottle tea into the water (this is mainly because it takes so long for the tannins to leech into the water when you just toss them in). After that, I would pour more of the tea into the tank with the fresh water at each water change to replenish some of what was taken out during the water change. It won't harm the fish if you don't do it this way, but it will keep the tannin levels up in the tank despite the water changes.
    I'd do some smaller WC's then
    No Cory, No Glory !!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDutch View Post
    I'd do some smaller WC's then
    It doesn't really matter one way or the other. Just depends on how involved the person wants to be. I do large (~70% or more) water changes with no ill effects but not everyone wants to change that much.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a cory for all your great pics ;-) - steeler58   Have a cory for all your great pics ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    It doesn't really matter one way or the other. Just depends on how involved the person wants to be. I do large (~70% or more) water changes with no ill effects but not everyone wants to change that much.
    I don't understand why / how but I seem to have completely misread your earlier post hahaha. Appologies !
    No Cory, No Glory !!