· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your son's recovery - Slaphppy7   Healing prayers for Henry - RiversGirl   DIY water chnager, nice job! - Slaphppy7   My heart goes out to you and your little boy.  He is so strong and so are you. - angelcraze2   Healing prayers for little Henry (superman) - Silbar   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    It's a bit hard to say without watching your tank and how the fish interact with each other, but in my past experience with rasboras (in my case, harlequins) they would occasionally get nippy with each other (pecking order and all that jazz). I never really witnessed them going after their non-harlequin tank mates, but that doesn't eliminate all possibility that this is what could be happening in your tank.

We used to have a very sweet member here who bought a bunch of rasboras one time and they were such terrors in her tank that she had to remove all of them, and I have heard other anecdotal stories of them nipping bettas and such.

That all being said, rasbora are generally upper-level fish and cories are generally bottom feeders, so I wouldn't expect much interaction between the two species, but I can't really say that with any certainty without being able to sit and stare at your tank to observe their behavior.

Another question... are the splits occurring in the dorsal fins, or just the caudal/tail?
    And really what fin damage I am seeing isn’t bad at all, very mild I just wanted to be proactive about things if it is truly finrot.
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your son's recovery - Slaphppy7   Healing prayers for Henry - RiversGirl   DIY water chnager, nice job! - Slaphppy7   My heart goes out to you and your little boy.  He is so strong and so are you. - angelcraze2   Healing prayers for little Henry (superman) - Silbar   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   

1 Not allowed!
    Looking at the tank right now and I honestly think I might be in the clear. Much improved since yesterday.
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I do seem to be missing my smallest rasbora to day tho. And the biggest rasbora is very fat...Iím thinking the little guy became a snack?!
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Should I leave the Indian almond leaf in? I’m a little worried that it’s goijg to result in me getting ph swings when I change water. Thoughts?
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    You won't see much of a swing. You have to put in a lot of the leaves to have much impact on the pH. pH swings aren't that dangerous, anyway. Those of us who inject CO2 swing our pH by a whole point, on average, twice a day (once in the morning when the gas kicks on, and once in the evening when the gas goes off). It usually does not affect the animals. I bred sensitive high-grade caridina shrimp for a while in a high-tech tank and never had any issues with premature deaths, even with the little babies.

Usually what kills the fish is a swing in the carbonate hardness (kH). The carbonate harness buffers your pH levels, so if the carbonate hardness tanks out then the pH will usually swing. Most folks don't monitor their kH levels but do monitor pH. So what you end up with is a lot of people testing their pH when fish suddenly die off and they see a change in pH and understandably come to the assumption that the swing in pH is what killed the fish. The real culprit is usually osmotic shock due to a sudden change in the calcium and other mineral concentration (carbonate hardness), not the change in hydrogen ions (pH).

I hope that wasn't confusing. Sometimes I feel like I over-explain or over-complicate my explanations haha

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    Also, it takes a while for those leaves to really start breaking down and getting their tannins in the water. Unless you're boiling them and pouring the resulting tea into the water, they aren't going to be affecting your water much if you have been doing frequent water changes to combat the fin issue.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    You won't see much of a swing. You have to put in a lot of the leaves to have much impact on the pH. pH swings aren't that dangerous, anyway. Those of us who inject CO2 swing our pH by a whole point, on average, twice a day (once in the morning when the gas kicks on, and once in the evening when the gas goes off). It usually does not affect the animals. I bred sensitive high-grade caridina shrimp for a while in a high-tech tank and never had any issues with premature deaths, even with the little babies.

Usually what kills the fish is a swing in the carbonate hardness (kH). The carbonate harness buffers your pH levels, so if the carbonate hardness tanks out then the pH will usually swing. Most folks don't monitor their kH levels but do monitor pH. So what you end up with is a lot of people testing their pH when fish suddenly die off and they see a change in pH and understandably come to the assumption that the swing in pH is what killed the fish. The real culprit is usually osmotic shock due to a sudden change in the calcium and other mineral concentration (carbonate hardness), not the change in hydrogen ions (pH).

I hope that wasn't confusing. Sometimes I feel like I over-explain or over-complicate my explanations haha
    So you would do the leafs? I’m thinking add one a week or so u til I have 3 big ones in there and just leave it at 3. You don’t think that will affect PH or Kh enough to worry about? Benefits outweigh negatives? And continue doing 40-50% WC each week? And I like detail/technical so don’t hold back on me!
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a cory for all your great pics ;-) - steeler58   Have a cory for all your great pics ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mspringer View Post
    So you would do the leafs? Iím thinking add one a week or so u til I have 3 big ones in there and just leave it at 3. You donít think that will affect PH or Kh enough to worry about? Benefits outweigh negatives? And continue doing 40-50% WC each week? And I like detail/technical so donít hold back on me!
    I'd always start with adding leafs indeed.
    As said meds should always be second to me or even not used. (of course depending on what onenis facing and how worse it is)
    No Cory, No Glory !!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    So you would do the leafs? I’m thinking add one a week or so u til I have 3 big ones in there and just leave it at 3. You don’t think that will affect PH or Kh enough to worry about? Benefits outweigh negatives? And continue doing 40-50% WC each week? And I like detail/technical so don’t hold back on me!
    If it affects the pH it won't be enough to cause any harm to the animals. That's kind of what I was trying to get to with my long-winded post haha. Changes in pH from the leaves is nothing to worry about. As long as you continue doing your water changes on a decent schedule, like you are already doing, you shouldn't have to worry about shocking the animals provided you match the temperatures.

If it was my tank I'd boil the leaves, first, and bottle up the tea. Toss the leaves into the tank and pour a bit of the bottle tea into the water (this is mainly because it takes so long for the tannins to leech into the water when you just toss them in). After that, I would pour more of the tea into the tank with the fresh water at each water change to replenish some of what was taken out during the water change. It won't harm the fish if you don't do it this way, but it will keep the tannin levels up in the tank despite the water changes.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

1 Not allowed!
    It all depends on your KH value. At a KH of 8 degrees, it takes about 2 cups of sphagnum peat moss to cut the KH in half (4 degrees) for about 24 cups of water. Find out what your KH value is. 3 big leaves aren't as much as 2 cups of sphagnum peat moss.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast