· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Suggestions for Good plants for a 20 Gallon Tank?

0 Not allowed!
    I am planning on doing the following for non-plant Denizens.

8 White cloud Minnows

1 Mystery Snail

6 Nerite Snails

5 Cherry Shrimp

What are good plants to work with this? I kinda want to do Heavily planted, tons of hiding spots for all of the above.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Crypts, crypts and more crypts will give you a start toward heavily planted. There are many varieties, some short, some tall. Some color variations as in the crypt wendtii green vs the bronze will provide some contrast, and there are some different leaf textures in some species.

I'm also a fan of dwarf sag - Sagittaria Subulata. This is a grass-like plant that will send runners to propagate new plants and in a lower light tank may grow tall enough to use in the background.

If you are going to add some wood or stone, you can also look at java fern and anubias to glue or tie onto the wood or stone. Easy plants also, although a bit slower in growth.

Is this a 20g long or high?

Btw, I love the white clouds. I have the Vietnamese White Cloud - Tanichthys micagemmae - a little different species than the regular Tanichthys albonubes, but very similar.
    Last edited by SueD; 05-04-2019 at 01:22 AM.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Tank setup and Plant Suggestions? 20 Gallon Tank Mostly Invertebrates.

0 Not allowed!
    I plan on doing the following for a 20 Gallon Tank.

8 White cloud Minnows

1 Mystery Snail

6 Nerite Snails

5 Cherry Shrimp

This is going to be a Planted tank. I will be establishing the plants first before I add the above non-plant denizens.

So I have a few questions.

1. What type of plants should I be looking at?
    2. Should I consider C02? Or no?
    3. Fertilizer/Substrate suggestions (this might depend a lot on the answers to Question #1)
    4. Specific Tank/Filter/Lighting Suggestions?
    5. Should I add the non-plant Denizens above in any particuilar order? I was thinking Shrimp-->Snails-->Minnows

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I have not purchased the tank yet. But I planned on going Long. Not High.

1. Should I consider C02? Or no?
    2. Fertilizer/Substrate suggestions (this might depend a lot on the answers to Question #1)
    3. Specific Tank/Filter/Lighting Suggestions?
    4. Should I add the non-plant Denizens above in any particular order? I was thinking Shrimp-->Snails-->Minnows

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Threads merged, since they are identical. You will not get more/better responses by posting the same questions in different areas of the forum, doing that adds confusion and clutter.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayston View Post
    I have not purchased the tank yet. But I planned on going Long. Not High.

1. Should I consider C02? Or no?
    2. Fertilizer/Substrate suggestions (this might depend a lot on the answers to Question #1)
    3. Specific Tank/Filter/Lighting Suggestions?
    4. Should I add the non-plant Denizens above in any particular order? I was thinking Shrimp-->Snails-->Minnows

Long is a great option-especially for the minnows.

For #1; it will depend on what type of plants you are getting. If you are going with rooted plants like crypts-then no. If you are going for high demand fussy stems that need weekly pruning and high light to color up and thrive-then yes, but be aware you will have to get a good fertilizer to work with the CO2 and may be dealing with some more algae than without the CO2 and ferts-at least until your tank gets into the right balance. Also the low pH that results from CO2 dosing may affect the shrimp and snails.

For #2; if you go with rooted plants with no CO2, then basic sand will work-you can even put down some fertilizer pellets or even sprinkle some osmocote down under the sand. If you are going to go fancy there a a lot of option, you can try a dirted tank, fluorite, Eco Complete, kitty litter with sand (plain litter not clumping or any additives as litter is a has a high CEC (caution exchange capacity)-so does the Eco complete which means that the substrate itself is a conduit to move cations and doesn't get used up. Soil will get used up by the plants and will have to be replaced in a few+ years.

For #3; type of filter will depend on the needs of the fish. Minnows like currents, shrimp don't and will get sucked up into high power filter systems without an intake strainer to keep them out. Minnows also like cooler waters than the shrimp and snails, so you may want to look for something more compatible. Minnows like 58-72 where shrimp are most comfortable from 70-79. Keeping the minnows towards the cool end will extend their lives and shorten the shrimps. The minnows may also make snacks out of the shrimp. If you were going with a minnow/snail then I would say a HOB filter with a lot of flow-something with 8-10 time tank turnover or add some current makers as the minnows are river fish.. If you are going shrimp/snail then I would say a sponge filter powered by an air pump is the best bet.

For lighting this will also depend on the plants. For a medium demand planted tank, the 20L are great because they are short so you can go for something like a Finnex Stingray. If you are going CO2/high demand plants then something like a Finnex planted tank would be great. I say Finnex because I have had the best results with them, you can look at comparable lights in other brands-just match the PAR/K to give you an idea. Or look for something 20-40 lumens for the med, and >40 for high demand plants. You can even buy some grow bulbs and clamp lights and use them instead of traditional "aquarium" lights. You would be looking for Daylight bulbs with a 500-6500K rating in CFL or LED, or something that said "grow" bulb with those ratings.

4. If you are going with the initial tank inhabitants then adding it the way you have it listed is a good idea. You can get the shrimp population up before adding the fish that may predate on them. you can add the fish and snails at the same time since the shrimp and snails will be eating similar if not the same food source in the tank, I would limit how many snails you get so they don't out compete the shrimp. Sometimes a tank needs the extra snail cleaning power-sometimes it doesn't.
    5.5g- Shrimp tanks
    75 Gourami/Eel tank
    5g Salty Tank
    Fish room-*pending*

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room
    Salty Tank

DebinWhitmore