· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default "exceptionally high chloramine concentration" and new tank question

0 Not allowed!
    First question:

On the Seachem Prime bottle, it says that you can add a double dose for "exceptionally high chloramine concentrations". What concentration would be considered "exceptionally high" The 2018 quality report for our local utility showed concentrations ranging from .8 to 3.6 ppm.

Second question:

First, I know this is not the optimal situation, and I feel really bad about it.
    My friend gave me his 55-gallon tank and the only fish it came with was a red-tailed shark. Due to a variety of circumstances, I was not able to set up a temporary tank beforehand. I got in late, so I had to make do with the 10-gallon setup at Walmart.
    Anyways, this means that I'm doing a fish-in-tank cycle with a fish that traveled 7 hours. He has a battery powered bubbler the whole way.
    I conditioned the water with safe-start and bought some Tetramin starter bacteria.
    The ammonia readings were around .5 ppm this afternoon. I started a 50% water change and called the local fish store about our local water(hard water). She told me that I shouldn't change the water, and stick to dosing with the SeaChem Prime. She said that a water change to early will shock the fish. Everything I have read indicates that I should do a water change when the ammonia gets that high. I'm a bit confused now.
    I should also mention that my nitrates were about 2.5 ppm after the water change. I'm not sure why.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the AC

An ammonia reading of .50 is not "high", but not ideal, either...with a RTS in a 10G tank, it's actually not that bad...how big is he/she?

What kind of test kit do you use?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I was using an API test kit. I actually think it was higher; around .75, but the reading after the water change seemed to be low if it truly was at .75 ppm before the change. Maybe I'm just getting accustomed to matching the color with the test sheet.
    The shark is between 2 and 2.5 inches.
    My friend also had a small plant(not sure what it is), but I had not put it in until now. Maybe it was fine in the bag with a few Tbsp of my friend's tank water, but I thought it would be better to put it in the tank.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

3 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the AC! This is a terrific site to interact with and learn from friendly people about this delightful hobby.

You were right to add the plant to the tank.

Congrats on your new fish, plant and tank (tanks?) I'm confused about the 55 gallon tank. Do you have both tanks set up?
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks! I've had many fish tanks in the past, but there was a lot of important things that I overlooked.

I don't have the 55 gallon set up yet. I got in too late to get together all the things I needed for it. There's a rubber fitting on the intake to the canister filter that needs to be replaced; I'm not sure if I'm going to use my friends stand, and I'm not sure the direction I want to go with the tank

I'm not too sure what to do with the red-tailed shark. My friend said it was a bit territorial, so it might make planning for the 55 gallon a bit tricky. He / she will also grow, so the 10 gallon won't be good for long-term. So far, it's not really eating, and it's making me worried.

What's your take on water changes while doing the fish-in-tank cycle?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

2 Not allowed!
    Exceptionally high chloramine means above the max limit of 4ppm. Sometimes after a period of raining, the water authority will increase the amount of chloramine in the lines above 4ppm. Always dose Seachem Prime for the amount of water in the tank and not the amount of water changed. This will protect your tank from higher chloramine amounts.

A fish in cycle requires water changes and adding Prime everyday. The ammonia and nitrite must not be above 0.25ppm.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for clearing that up on the water changes. I was 99.9% sure that they were needed for the fish in cycle, but the person I talked to at the fish shop threw me for a loop. So change the water as needed to keep the ammonia and nitrite under .25 ppm at all times, and dose the tank with Prime every day. If I'm not doing a water change that day, will I still add a full dose of Prime, or do I adjust the dose per my water parameters?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Just dose for WC's, 1 ml of Prime.

And take any advice from a shop person with a block of salt, many times they have no idea what they are talking about

You'll get expert advice here, no need to look or ask elsewhere
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

1 Not allowed!
    Ammonia and nitrite eating bacteria grow on surfaces (filter media, substrate, decorations, tank wall) and are not in the water column itself. If you change the water, just siphon the water out without being directly above the substrate. The only bacteria that are free floating are the heterotrophic bacteria (white bloom), and they consume organic matter most of the time.

You can dose Prime everyday since the ability for the ammonia to be bound degrades over a 24-48 hour period. 48 hours after initially dosing of Prime, the bound ammonia (called ammonium) becomes the toxic ammonia. Both a higher PH and higher temperature also increases the likelihood of the ammonia being toxic, explaining at what levels becomes more complicated.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    In my previous area, there were some great shops, but many of them withered away(why is it always the beloved shops that close?). It's been a while, so I can't remember everything I did that was right or wrong. I was reasonably successful in spite of all the mistakes though, and that all can be credited to the shops. I do remember doing plenty of water changes.

That said, I'm starting off with learning from scratch. I wasn't off to the best start doing a fish in tank cycle; with a 2" red tail shark in a 10 Gal, but there were extenuating circumstances.
    The shark will *definitely* be getting moved to a bigger tank.

I'm babbling now though. I have to go take a statistics final at the testing center and I'm procrastinating. Lol.

Thanks for all the help