· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, the good shops have been shut out by the box stores, but there are a few left with people who know their stuff, if you are lucky enough to have one nearby.

Good luck on the final.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    Ammonia and nitrite eating bacteria grow on surfaces (filter media, substrate, decorations, tank wall) and are not in the water column itself. If you change the water, just siphon the water out without being directly above the substrate. The only bacteria that are free floating are the heterotrophic bacteria (white bloom), and they consume organic matter most of the time.
    I'm really curious why the person at the shop told me not to water change and just dose with Prime. She told me that a drastic ammonia fluctuation would be harsh on the fish? Even though I don't know much, it seemed counter to everything I have read over the past few days. Maybe she thought I was talking about something else?

Anyways, this brings up another question I have. The filter that came with this emergency tank purchase is kind of dinky. I don't want to replace it because it's been running for a few days, but would it be ok to pick up a small used filter, and run it with a sponge and bio-medium to supplement what I have? At the least, it would give me some extra medium I can use when I set up the 55 gallon to cycle.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BeezLouise View Post
    (why is it always the beloved shops that close?).
    I feel that a couple of the reasons for this is
    1. that it costs (money, time, labor) to do things the right way (for the fish) and that sometimes means making profits is not top on the agenda for those shops that truly care about their fish.
    2. on line prices are nothing easy to compete with.

Those are only my opinions/thoughts on the matter though. Good luck on your final!

Edit to add: I didn't see your previous post before I posted. Yes, totally fine to run an additional filter next to the existing filter. I prefer to run 2 filters on my tanks and am just following that example from many other members here that I respect.
    Last edited by RiversGirl; 05-02-2019 at 03:59 PM.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by RiversGirl View Post
    Edit to add: I didn't see your previous post before I posted. Yes, totally fine to run an additional filter next to the existing filter. I prefer to run 2 filters on my tanks and am just following that example from many other members here that I respect.
    Okay, I'll put that on the to-do list! I just wasn't sure if it was okay to start another one while I'm cycling. My friend and his kids(3 and 5) loved this red tail shark, so I want to be really careful.

Quote Originally Posted by RiversGirl View Post
    1. that it costs (money, time, labor) to do things the right way (for the fish) and that sometimes means making profits is not top on the agenda for those shops that truly care about their fish.
    It's funny you mention this. When a hometown shop was on the way to closing, he mentioned how much flack he would get from people when he refused to sell saltwater fish along with a setup. Now that I think back, there did seem to be a great many shops that closed after online commerce fully matured in the late 00s.

Edit: Leaving now for real. XD

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

0 Not allowed!
    She doesn't quite understand that the ammonia and nitrite eating bacteria doesn't live in the water. She thinks the white bloom eats ammonia and nitrite when it doesn't. A dramatic decrease in ammonia is not harsh on the fish, and she's mixing it up with the concept of osmotic regulation, which is affected by the amount of total dissolved solids in the water (e.g. dark red Kool Aid versus light pink Kool Aid using cherry powder).

Supplementing is fine. When you are ready to replace the old filter with a new one a few months from now, move the media from the old filter into the 2nd new filter.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    She doesn't quite understand that the ammonia and nitrite eating bacteria doesn't live in the water. She thinks the white bloom eats ammonia and nitrite when it doesn't. A dramatic decrease in ammonia is not harsh on the fish, and she's mixing it up with the concept of osmotic regulation, which is affected by the amount of total dissolved solids in the water (e.g. dark red Kool Aid versus light pink Kool Aid using cherry powder).
    I don't know if this changes anything, but there is a chance she thought I was talking about saltwater. Who knows though.

Yesterday was a bit crazy because of a final, so I missed a water change. It looks like I should do an AM and PM water change tomorrow so I can gain a bit more ground on the ammonia. Still dosing with Prime. Does the fish in cycle take longer because the ammonia levels are kept lower than doing fishless?

I must be doing something right; the red-tailed shark's respiration has gone down, and he / she is gaining back their appetite. It's food drive still isn't there yet, so uneaten food(not overfeeding) is pushing up ammonia levels. I talked to my friend today, and he said that his shark is a big algae grazer. Any thoughts on that?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    No experience with RTS, I've never kept them before, but if his activity level and appetite have increased, that's generallya good thing.

I see no reason for 2 WC's unless the ammonia level is very high, just do one very large one...just be sure to match the new water temp to the tank temp, dose Prime for the entire tank volume, and BE SURE your media never dries out during these WC's...I usually have a bowl of old tank water on the side, and keep my media submerged in that while doing WC's

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    To answer your question above, yes, the fish-in cycle usually does take longer and requires more effort on your part e.g. frequent (maybe daily) water changes to maintain those low ammonia levels. More stressful for both you and the fish, but it can be done and the fish can make it if you continue to be diligent. Don't give up - sounds like you're making progress.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Oh man, I forgot about keeping the media submerged. There's still the gravel, so I assume it hasn't totally killed my cycle?
    The thing with the water changes is, with the 50% change it's going from .50 ppm to .25ppm, and then jumping back to .50 the next day. I would rather get it well under .25ppm.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    You MUST keep the filter media wet (I keep mine submerged) at all times, that's the main place you are growing BB to cycle the tank.

No big whoop, just carry on with the WC's, but if the media dried out, the cycle may/will be delayed a bit

It could be the reason you are seeing those params swing around like that

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast