· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Sick angelfish. Help!!

0 Not allowed!
    My angelfish began showing signs of internal parasites 5 days ago. I have 3 angels and all 3 are hanging out near the bottom of the tank and have not eaten for 5 days. I noticed white poop coming from them. I began treating the tank with API general cure 3 days ago, per the instructions on the box. So far, no signs of improvement. Angels are still hanging out near the bottom and not eating. Physically, they show no outward signs of sickness. My ammonia is at 0, nitrites 0, nitrates between 10-20. Iím going to do a substantial water change tomorrow night if things donít improve. Any other ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated. I donít want to lose these beautiful fish.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

1 Not allowed!
    are the angels new?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family :-) - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you too! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Congrats! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    White feces doesn't always mean that the fish have parasites.
    White feces can also be an indication of internal bacterial infection ( from cause other than parasites- such as environmental stressors) or parasites that lead to secondary bacterial infection.
    What does the feces look like...long and stringy or thick and translucent?

From description of symptoms- this has gotten very serious. There is infection; but, the cause is unknown.
    My recommendations:

*Do 25%-50% water changes between dosage of medication. water changes take out dissolved organics in water column that can off-set the effectiveness of the medication. Many people forget to do this and wonder why medications are not working.

*I would continue treatment with General Cure for full recommended treatment and add kanamycin ( active ingredient in Seachem Kanaplex). Both of these drugs are safe to use in tandem with one another.

*I would also add a low-dose of Epsom salt ( no perfumes or dyes) to tank and leave in for 3 days. Epsom salt works as a laxative and will work to illuminate any parasites that may be lodged in the intestine/ or obstructions of any kind. Like I said, not sure this is a parasite, but this will help and not harm just in case of this possibility. It is very common for parasites to get caught/obstruct intestine and lead to secondary bacterial infection. I would treat with 1/4 tsp. Epsom salt per 5 gallons aquarium water. Make sure to dissolve the Epsom salt in small cup with aquarium water before adding directly to aquarium.

* Add a Vitamin supplement to water column like Boyd's Vitachem. When fish stop eating they lose vital nutrients needed to fight of illness, products like Vitachem can be taken up by fish through the gills to replenish what not getting through food. I have used it for years with my discus ( mostly in fighting Hexamita) and have seen the benefits. It also works to stimulate appetite.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I completed the general cure course of treatment and did a 50% water change. The angels are swimming around a bit more and seemed interested in food, but didn’t actually eat it. I’m hoping today I can get them to eat. I’m attaching a pic of the feces. Sorry it’s not the best quality.6DA6D599-9F24-4458-8174-D52E1F729FE0.jpeg

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I’ve had them for 2 months. Normally, they eat like little pigs. I knew something was up when they stopped eating.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    @ discusluv, thank you for taking the time to provide such a detailed response. I appreciate the help.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

0 Not allowed!
    Epsom salt is better ingested (just like metronidazole), especially for cichlids since they tend to carry spironucleus vortens which cause the poo that you are seeing. Once they start to eat, feed them epsom salt soaked pellets that have been saturated with the epsom salt solution or better yet use the epsom salt solution as the water for gel based food like Repashy. Mix 1/2cup of distilled water with 3/4 teaspoon of epsom salt.