· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

Default Slightly Salty Shrimp Tank

2 Not allowed!
    Well I fell in love with ʻōpaeʻula a couple years ago when I first saw them in a display tank at Fish Planet, a local fish store in Deerfield. I have wanted to get a tank going for them and recently picked up a five gallon top fin (kinda a mimic Spec V) on clearance for $34 with the idea of putting a unique shrimp in it since it will be in my room. So it was a toss up between the Caridina babaulti or Halocaridina rubra and the rubra won. They are also know as ʻōpaeʻula (Hawaiian for red shrimp) and are found near the coast in brackish waters with a salinity of 1.008 up to 1.015.

This is a bit challenging to me as it severely limits plants, and everyone knows I love plants, lol. Fortunately I have some marimo balls that I can acclimate to brackish conditions and hope they do well in the tank. I can't find a macro algae that will do well in brackish and don't want to play around with any other plants, keeping the tank simple in design. Yes some chaeto could do well, but I would also have to acclimate it from salty to brackish and it is sold in huge pieces for too much $$, more than I want to spend to have it die on me.

So here is some info on the materials/stocking for the tank:

PetSmart Top Fin 5 gallon rimless tank "kit"
    Carib sea arag alive Hawaiian sand
    2 lava rocks
    Aquaclear 20 small sponges
    Filstar fine foam pad
    Blue bonded foam
    Three ceramic 2" bio media balls from our tub's HOB to kick start the cycle
    Small sea fans
    Mushroom corals (not alive and en route)
    Marimo algae balls
    Hydrometer from Instant Ocean, Fluval's had bad reviews

So today I set the tank up with the substrate, lava rocks and the sea fans. I purchased a tub of sea water at Fish Planet and talked to the manager who said if I filled the tank 3/4 full with tap water and condition it then top the tank off with the salt, I should get the right salinity-and was surprised when it came out to 1.010. The filter had a goofy cartridge with floss and carbon, so I tossed that and set up the filter to resemble the Spec V with primarily sponge filtration. Challenge is the filter section is curved-not rectangular like the spec V so the foam fit is off a bit. I cut the Aquaclear sponge in half thickness-wise and wrapped the blue bonded filter media around one piece and used tweezers to push it into the filter where the grate is. I then took the other piece of sponge and pushed it behind the first one-so the first piece would be flush with the grate. I then slipped the three 2" ceramic balls into the filter (they are seeding the tank) and topped it with a rena filstar 30 ppi foam which I cut in half length wise and will be my sponge filtration for the tank. I have some fine stainless steel from Han that I want to glue over the grate to keep shrimp and larval shrimp out of the filter, but I couldn't find it so will wait to fix that possible issue.

I probably should have rinsed the arag-alive substrate, but I didn't. Initial ammonia test showed water was at 0.25 ppm so I dosed 0.05ml of ammonia to the tank and tested again and ammonia was at 1.0 ppm. Since I have the seeded media, I will test it daily to see what the ammonia is and add some as needed. I will have this tank up and running for at least a month-probably three, before I add the shrimp so I have to keep dosing to keep the cycle going. I want a good biofilm and algae growth in here so the shrimp have a strong start. They are slow growing and breeding so I am not expecting a population boom any time, but I would like to get them started right. I may add some horned nerites in a few months after the shrimp are added-depending on how well the shrimp and algae are doing.

Front view
    IMG_20190407_185339693.jpg
    IMG_20190407_211459687.jpg
    Side view
    IMG_20190407_211405325.jpg
    Top view
    IMG_20190407_211320673.jpg

Prior to dosing ammonia
    IMG_20190407_221909277.jpg

After 0.05 ml ammonia
    IMG_20190407_223215252.jpg

And the ʻōpaeʻula courtesy of Google
    download.jpg
    Adult size
    Pohiki_opaeula_72dpi_6x4.5.jpg

Yes these are those horrible "ecosphere" (the sphere concept, not the) shrimp. I wonder who thought sealing a group of shrimp in an ecosphere for life would be a good idea. It is very cruel way for us to get a "pet" and though maintenance is very low for these tanks-it still needs maintenance in the form of water changes and filter cleaning.

567bdd4f-7322-46c9-acde-537ea63ac9df_1.21d810cd85721e1aedc7c681b87e4105.jpeg
    Last edited by Boundava; 04-08-2019 at 04:08 AM.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Welcome Back! - Boundava   Here is a coral to tide you over until you decide what to get for your 40 - bpete   Sorry for the ich, you'll defeat it. - mch1984   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   

1 Not allowed!
    Hooray! New tank build and new thread. I'm looking forward to following along.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you! Looking forward to trying out the brackish side of life, lol.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Tested the ammonia last night and its at 0.50 ppm. Didn't test nitrites but will today when I get home.

0.50 ppm.jpg vs the night before1.0ppm.jpg

Also added more saltwater to the marimo balls, they seem to be doing OK and are in 1.010 salinity right now. If I have time tonight I will add them to the tank.
    Last edited by Boundava; 04-09-2019 at 02:02 PM.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Well ammonia didn't change but I do have a good amount of nitrites.
    IMG_20190410_191000604.jpg
    IMG_20190410_190926348.jpg
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Well, ammonia is between 0 - .25 but nitrates (and nitrites) are thru the roof! So WC is in order for today.

IMG_20190414_104331441.jpg
    Last edited by Boundava; 04-14-2019 at 03:50 PM.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    So I am cycled!

IMG_20190416_185547226.jpg

Also finaly got the mushroom coral from the seller-only took 12 days!
    IMG_20190416_194220143.jpg
    IMG_20190416_194245870.jpg

Getting some biofilm on the sand in the corners, but no algae. Have the lights on from 5am to ~10pm and am adding Thrive, an all in one fertilizer; so not sure what I am doing wrong. When you want the crud it doesn't grow!

Put a couple drops of ammonia in for the cycle, and may or may not get shrimp this weekend-will see what it brings us as its Easter weekend and Mom wants a big feast-though it will be just us (and Sis and I disagree with the food overkill since we will be cooking/baking/cleaning as Mom is still with the walker and torn ligament).
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Welcome Back! - Boundava   Here is a coral to tide you over until you decide what to get for your 40 - bpete   Sorry for the ich, you'll defeat it. - mch1984   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   

1 Not allowed!
    The tank is looking good. I really like the aquaacape

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    I like it too, and congrats on the cycle
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Thank you both. I dunno if I will have time, but would like to try and get the shrimp this weekend.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore