· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Thread: Guppy question

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Guppy question

0 Not allowed!
    Hello! We have 2 tanks 1 10g and 1 5g. The 10 gal has 7 glofish and 1 adf and the 5g has 3 guppies 1 male 2 female. We noticed that the guppies aren't active. They just sit still at the surface, kind of eating when feeding time happens. Both tanks are cycled, both tanks have good water, we get the water tested daily. We decided to move the guppies to the other tank, maybe they need a bigger community and to see if anything changes. They are still hovering at the top. We haven't had them for very long, about 2 weeks. They have been like this the whole time. What do you think is happening?

Note: The danios are not nippy with them at all. in fact, as strange as this sounds, they are considerate of the guppies.
    Last edited by StarOcean; 04-07-2019 at 05:28 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the AC...a few questions:

How did you cycle the tanks?..how long have they been cycled?...what kind of test kit do you use?...what kind of water conditioner?

What are your readings for ammonia, nitrIte, nitrAte, and ph?

What kind of filters are on the tanks, and are they heated?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    We do not have a test kit. We get our water tested at our local petstore as it is free. Tanks have been cycled for a month. We do 40% water changes weekly. Type of water conditioner is glofish brand. I'm sorry but I do not have the readings of the last test as my memory isn't the best. The 5g has a filter that came with it, don't know what kind and has no heater but room temp the water stays around 73. The 10g has a very powerful filter and the tank is heated to about 77. I'm sorry but I don't know the name of the filters. Both filters came with each of the tanks respectfully. The glofish are very lively and active. Even with the guppies in there. We have been watching very closely for any change in behavior in them. No change in glofish behavior. The 10g tank is the best tank hands down. We have had no issues with it.

Note: The 5g tank's water doesn't smell of ammonia either. It is not cloudy, very clear.
    Last edited by StarOcean; 04-07-2019 at 06:09 PM.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    The male guppy seems to be doing better, he's been swimming around but the females are very stationary.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    To be honest, I seriously doubt those tanks are cycled. And if they are not, the fish are suffering because of it, hence the odd behaviors.

Did you buy both tanks as "kits"?

From now on, please do not trust the advice of LFS (local fish store) employees, 99% of the time, they have no clue what proper fishkeeping entails...there's a few exceptions with mom-n-pop stores that have sold fish (and are fishkeepers themselves), but with the box stores, their advice is mostly worthless with fish.

You need to start testing your own water, it is not hard to do, and then we'll be able to help you better with your setups, lots of great members here with tons of experience

That being said, I highly recommend the purchase of the following 2 items, the test kit is a crucial tool we all use and will always have to use, and the water conditioner is the best one out there, IMO...the sooner you get these two items in your hands, the better...in the meantime, read as much as you can in the Beginner section of the forum

https://www.amazon.com/API-FRESHWATE.../dp/B000255NCI

https://www.amazon.com/Seachem-11604...upplies&sr=1-1
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers