· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Help a novice Betta Mama!

0 Not allowed!
    Iím a novice Betta Mama but so far, Noddle and I have always overcome our tank troubles together but we definitely need some help now!

I was about to start my weekly water change on my cycled Fluval Spec V tank when I noticed this strange white stringy buildup in the return nozzle. I broke down my tank and this stuff is on everything. When you disturb the matter, it breaks down in small pieces and some float while some sink. My Pump was also caked in this stuff. I scrubbed everything down in the old water during the water change. When I started scrubbing, this stuff was everywhere in the water and the worse area was in my media and pump compartment as shown in the photos.

Does anyone happen to know what this might be? White algae, bacteria bloom or a fungus?

Tank setup:

I have a heater, InTank media box with polisher floss, Purigen, chemi-pure elite, and Fluval Biomax. I treat the water with Seachem Prime and pristine with water changes and add stability approximately once a week.

My levels are as follows: PH: 7.0 Ammonia: 0 Nitrite: 0 and Nitrate: 0.

I have one Male Betta (Noodle) and 6 marimo balls. I have multiple aquarium soft silk plants, two Betta hide out decorations and a clamp gooseneck light. The tank is not near direct sunlight and the water temp is normally rocking a steady 79 degrees reading.

Noodle does not appear to have any physical appearance changes or changes in behavior. Heís still swimming along making his large bubble nests.

We had a pretty bad bacteria bloom a few months ago and it didnít look like this at all. We were able to overcame it with advice from my local aquarium store. The store has since closed so we need your help! Any ideas or input would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    It's really hard to tell but I wonder if it's pieces of the "polisher floss" you have in there breaking loose. Not sure why you would using a polisher floss anyway, as Purigen is a water polisher, as is chemi-pure elite. So you have 3 "water polishers" going.

I have 2 Spec V tanks and I'm not sure how you're fitting all of that in the filter compartment. Have you removed the large sponge? This built in filter actually works great as designed for this tank and that sponge provides mechanical filtration as well as a large surface for beneficial bacteria. I have a bag of Aqua Clear biomax in one of the large sponge cut-outs, and a 2nd sponge in the 2nd cut-out (the carbon that comes with the tank is not really necessary). If you feel the need for extra polishing, you can add the Purigen pouch in one of the cut-outs so you would have the large sponge, some biomax and purigen.
    Last edited by SueD; 03-31-2019 at 08:07 PM.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you for replying. It is definitely not the polisher floss because itís a film and breaks off when you come in contact with it but way too thick to just be a biofilm. I do not use the sponge filter that came with the Fluval Spec. As I stated in post with my tank setup, I use the InTank media holder in place of the sponge filter. I use the polisher pad on the top to catch all the fine debris. I have the purigen and chemi bags tied and hanging through the slots so they are not performing as pads to catch any debris but the water flows through them freely when tied and ďdangling.Ē I also forgot to mention I have a handful of ceramic bio media on the bottom of the InTank holder to house extra beneficial bacteria.

This stuff is on all the silicone strips on the tank, all my decorations, heater and itís really built up in the filter pump compartment.