· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Great Job with Spooky! - Boundava   

Default Sitting on bottom, not eating, and strange darting behavior, Anyone?

0 Not allowed!
    Hello Everyone! I need help guys! Here is some background real quick. I am 42 years old and have had fish all my life. My first beta was when I was 8 years old. So I am not new to fish or betas. Since I have had betas off and on all my life I have seen a lot of things. Right now I have a beta named firefly who lives in a 10 gallon tank with 5 small tetras. (Can't think of their kind at the moment). He has been there since he was a baby and has always got a long very well with them. He is about 2 years old now. He is healthy and happy. I have another beta named Sky who is in a 5.5 gallon tank with only a mystery snail and a cordy albino catfish. He is also healthy and happy. Same age. I got them both around the same time. After two of my other betas finally died of old age. They were both around 5 or 6 years old. Now here is why I am here. About a month and a half ago I decided to get another beta to put in my room next to my Bearded Dragon tank. My Bearded dragon gets bored being in my room and I thought maybe watching a fish might be interesting for her. So, I got a 3.5 gallon tank with filter and bought a heater and then bought a young beta I call spooks. It took him about a week to get use to everything and then he seemed to enjoy his tank especially his coconut shell. I also have three small live plants that stay at the top for him to swim and sit on the leaves if he wishes. For about 3 weeks or so everything was fine. Although I am not use to having what I call a "half fish bowl and half aquarium set up". The filter isn't all that because it doesn't have the good bacteria plastic sit in piece and the water is very still which they say betas like but it doesn't get things swirling around so the filter can pick up the poop, extra food and dust. My other aquariums have a cordy fish which helps this while this one doesn't. There seems to be a lot of dust in my room. Most likely from my Bearded dragon who is digging right now. (Who has sense stopped) Anyway, and I am not use to the algae blooms that appear so quickly. My other aquariums have snails. So, I took a couple of pest snails I have a few of right now out of a holding container and put them in there to just eat some algae not thinking too much about the waste they themselves leave around. Anyway, I was doing a routine check on my water and the nitrite was really high. At this time though my beta was acting fine. I immediately though cleaned the tank, took out the snails, and put new water in. The tank hasn't had time to get any good bacteria yet anyway and part of the problem and the fish and snail poop was just laying everywhere not going up the filter like it is suppose to. I have to literally stir the water around now for the filter to pick stuff up. (Any advise on this too would be great) So, anyways a couple of days later I noticed my beta not active like he was. And the next day he wouldn't eat. Normally, he loves to eat. I checked his water and its fine. Which is a relief. So, I just gave it some time. Well, it's been over a week now and he still sits on the gravel and does not eat. There is no visible sign of illness however at all. Then I noticed yesterday that he got up to get some air and darted around the tank at top speeds like he was crazy. Almost like his name he just got spooked or something. I thought not much at the time because maybe he did. But I have seen him do it a few more times since. He seems to do it when I disturb him. And he never did that before. A minute ago he ran into the heater and is now laying slightly on his side like he is caught behind it but he's not. So, most of the time he is lethargic and then flips out. Just once in a while though. I have seen other fish of mine do this in the past but never a beta. Unfortunately, my other fish would start showing other signs of going down hill and eventually die. I do not want that to happen to Spooks. He is truly a beautiful beta. And I feel so bad. I don't know what to do. I don't know what this is. I never did find out what made my other fish that have done that before do it. I usually always know what to do for my betas but I am at a loss with this one because there is no other sign of anything. And his water checks seem normal. I have been making sure it stay's clean. Plus, I have had betas in some pretty crummy water when I was younger and before I knew better and they never did this. So, I don't think it is the water at all. Betas are pretty tough. I have everything else he should need. Like I said I only have had him though for a month and a half or so. I don't really know his personality. But he should be eating and he isn't. He isn't swimming around like he once was and only moves to get air from the top. Anyone know what's going on here? Advise? Please Help!

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I just have another question real quick. Can the ammonia in your fish tank still be high even if your nitrite is fine?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    Welcome to AC.

Let me start by saying you have an small uncycled tank which has become toxic to your betta. Do you have any testing kits (not strips) to test your water condition? Also do you have any water conditioners like Prime that will neutralize the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate for 24 hours so its not toxic to your fish? If not I would strongly suggest you go out and buy some-immediately. Second a 3.5 gallon is really too small for a betta. I would say nothing smaller than a 5.5-really a 10 is better as they do appreciate the space and the more water in your tank, the slower the time for the water parameters to get really bad before you can deal with it. I know they are supposed to be slow moving fish that live in stagnant water, but I have had just under two dozen bettas and over a dozen of those have been in tanks 10 gallons plus with moving water which they love. The only thing that stops a betta from loving the current is its long heavy fins. I currently have 2 female bettas in tubs that are almost 70 gallons, the one female will be inhabiting a 125 in the near future.

Also cory are social fish and should be in groups no smaller than 6. They are not cleanup fish and should be fed their own food. Regular tank maintenance to clean uneaten food and waste is up to you with regular (at least weekly) tank cleanings that include siphoning the waste off the substrate and water changes. I would recommend a Phython cleaner for that purpose;

https://www.chewy.com/python-pro-cle...hoCZBUQAvD_BwE

Yes you can have ammonia with no nitrites, that means your tank is not cycled and the bacteria that breaks down the ammonia hasn't developed yet as they make nitrite from the breakdown of ammonia. Since you are now cycling your tank with a fish and snails you will need to do daily water changes and to teat your water daily as levels of ammonia and nitrite over 0.25 will kill your fish over a prolonged period of time, you are probably already seeing this with your betta's current actions.

I would do an immediate 90% water change on the tank and watch water parameters daily for any buildup of ammonia and nitrates. The best remedy is clean water and then I would think about getting him a bigger tank, a 10 gallon tank for spooky, a good filter like the Aqueon quiet flow and custom fit it by tossing the replaceable cartridge and filling the space with something like this:

Also read this on doing a fishless cycle- http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640

If you have any media in your other betta tanks that you can put into Spooky's tank, it will help the cycle.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default media?

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    Welcome to AC.

Let me start by saying you have an small uncycled tank which has become toxic to your betta. Do you have any testing kits (not strips) to test your water condition? Also do you have any water conditioners like Prime that will neutralize the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate for 24 hours so its not toxic to your fish? If not I would strongly suggest you go out and buy some-immediately. Second a 3.5 gallon is really too small for a betta. I would say nothing smaller than a 5.5-really a 10 is better as they do appreciate the space and the more water in your tank, the slower the time for the water parameters to get really bad before you can deal with it. I know they are supposed to be slow moving fish that live in stagnant water, but I have had just under two dozen bettas and over a dozen of those have been in tanks 10 gallons plus with moving water which they love. The only thing that stops a betta from loving the current is its long heavy fins. I currently have 2 female bettas in tubs that are almost 70 gallons, the one female will be inhabiting a 125 in the near future.

Also cory are social fish and should be in groups no smaller than 6. They are not cleanup fish and should be fed their own food. Regular tank maintenance to clean uneaten food and waste is up to you with regular (at least weekly) tank cleanings that include siphoning the waste off the substrate and water changes. I would recommend a Phython cleaner for that purpose;

https://www.chewy.com/python-pro-cle...hoCZBUQAvD_BwE

Yes you can have ammonia with no nitrites, that means your tank is not cycled and the bacteria that breaks down the ammonia hasn't developed yet as they make nitrite from the breakdown of ammonia. Since you are now cycling your tank with a fish and snails you will need to do daily water changes and to teat your water daily as levels of ammonia and nitrite over 0.25 will kill your fish over a prolonged period of time, you are probably already seeing this with your betta's current actions.

I would do an immediate 90% water change on the tank and watch water parameters daily for any buildup of ammonia and nitrates. The best remedy is clean water and then I would think about getting him a bigger tank, a 10 gallon tank for spooky, a good filter like the Aqueon quiet flow and custom fit it by tossing the replaceable cartridge and filling the space with something like this:

Also read this on doing a fishless cycle- http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640

If you have any media in your other betta tanks that you can put into Spooky's tank, it will help the cycle.

Thanks for the post. What do you mean by media?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Media is the stuff inside your filter that colonizes beneficial bacteria (BB)

It can be sponges, ceramic rings or balls, floss, pretty much anything porous and durable
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    It also is something you don't throw out, but clean in either some tank water (that is in a bucket so you can rinse the media in) or in some conditioned water; as the chlorine/chloramine in tap water will kill of your beneficial bacteria.

The gimmick with many filter manufacturers is to use the cartridges for filtration, which you toss every so often-effectively tossing the majority of your BB. Any filter that uses these cartridges can be customized to hold other media-which you have for the life of your tank. A little investment for long term tank health.

Also the addition of carbon to these is not needed. Carbon is really only needed to remove any medications that you may have in your water column, the organics it removes can be useful for any plants in your tank. By the way certain plants can help buffer the ammonia, nitrate and nitrite in the tanks by using them-mainly ammonia and nitrates. You may want to grab a nutrient hoggin plant like camboba, elodea/anarchis, hornwort or water sprite. They can just float at the top of your tank and the bettas usually love to hammock themselves in it to sleep of rest. Or you can plant them in your substrate.
    Photos are in order I listed above and are pretty common online:
    51wnltYv-GL.jpg
    61RlcRhxePL._SX425_.jpg
    81Av-aA-uUL._SL1500_.jpg
    images.jpg

I hope Spooky is doing better today.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family :-) - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you too! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Congrats! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    The symptoms seeing are typical of nitrite toxicity-- neurological damage ( dashing, erratic behavior) and weakness ( most likely secondary internal bacterial infection or even more serious, internal organ damage).
    This happens due to the nitrite exposure leading to what is called "Brown Blood Disease"-- which is basically a secondary condition from exposure that limits the fishs' ability to take up oxygen and bring this needed oxygen to brain, internal organs, tissues.
    The best known counter to this condition is salt and clean water. A quote from article I will link:

"The addition of a half ounce of salt per gallon of water will prevent methemoglobin from building up. Chlorine salt is preferable; however, any aquarium salt is better than no salt at all. Aeration should be increased to provide ample oxygen saturation in the water. Feedings should be reduced and no new fish should be added to the tank until its ammonia and nitrite levels have fallen to zero. Nitrite is lethal at much lower levels than ammonia. Therefore it is critical to continue daily testing and treatment until the nitrite falls to zero."

https://www.thesprucepets.com/nitrite-poisoning-1378485

Another very informative article:
    http://www.aun.edu.eg/developmentvet...seases/7_3.htm

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Any updates on the beta?
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Hi everyone!
    I wanted to let everyone know that Spooky is 100% better. I almost lost him! He hadn't eaten for like 10 days. I continued with water changes of half the tank water. A little more at first. I went and bought some Stress Coat and added that to the water changes.. I got a turkey baster and cleaned out the extra food and "stuff" that seemed to be every where out of the gravel every other day. Since I didn't have any media I bought a filter sponge from Amazon. I first cut a piece off of one that was in my cycled tanks and stuck it in his filter and then when the other came I cut a piece out and added that too. Then I bought and added Tetra Safe Start that cycles new aquariums and adds good bacteria. I continued this day after day. Then one day because I continued to try and feed him, he responded to the food. At first only what fell in front of his face. Then little by little it gave him the energy to go to the top. Along with the tank finally getting good bacteria we were back in business. He acts like he is starving now. Well, of course he is! I love seeing him respond to me coming up to his tank wanting food! And then excitedly eating his food. I am so happy! Thanks to everyone who helped.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a cory for all your great pics ;-) - steeler58   Have a cory for all your great pics ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by eascusa View Post
    Hi everyone!
    I wanted to let everyone know that Spooky is 100% better. I almost lost him! He hadn't eaten for like 10 days. I continued with water changes of half the tank water. A little more at first. I went and bought some Stress Coat and added that to the water changes.. I got a turkey baster and cleaned out the extra food and "stuff" that seemed to be every where out of the gravel every other day. Since I didn't have any media I bought a filter sponge from Amazon. I first cut a piece off of one that was in my cycled tanks and stuck it in his filter and then when the other came I cut a piece out and added that too. Then I bought and added Tetra Safe Start that cycles new aquariums and adds good bacteria. I continued this day after day. Then one day because I continued to try and feed him, he responded to the food. At first only what fell in front of his face. Then little by little it gave him the energy to go to the top. Along with the tank finally getting good bacteria we were back in business. He acts like he is starving now. Well, of course he is! I love seeing him respond to me coming up to his tank wanting food! And then excitedly eating his food. I am so happy! Thanks to everyone who helped.
    Well done !!!!
    No Cory, No Glory !!