· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Question about windows

0 Not allowed!
    Hello, we bought a 10 gallon tank with a heater and have had it set up for 4 days now. We have 7 glofish danios and 1 african dwarf frog. We will not be adding anymore to the tank. Everything is well. We tested the water at our nearby pet store and it tested good. We placed it near a window that never has sunlight come through it. It can get pretty hot where we live so I usually have windows open so that the apartment doesn't get too hot because it happens. Is it bad that we have it near the window? When summer hits all windows have to be open because our summers get up to 90 degrees (we have no air conditioner), currently our spring is heating up to the 70s. Also should we turn the heater off during the summer to prevent the tank from overheating? anything input would be VERY helpful. We are new at this but I've had experience with tanks when I was a kid, as my dad kept a 20 gal tank and a 55 gal tank (idk if that is helpful). Thanks.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

1 Not allowed!
    Unplug the heater during summer

You can have it near a window but be prepared for green spot algae growth on the glass.

Buy your own API freshwater master test kit

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the AC.

Please read as much info in the beginner section as possible, particularly this: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7   To help you sleep... - Rue   Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7   My turn to buy - fishmommie   Right back at'cha! - KevinVA   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Surfdog   Autism - Surfdog   

1 Not allowed!
    No need to do anything but cover the back of the tank. Your tank water temperature will be the same as room temperature, heater won't turn on when it warms up to over what its set at. I use automotive window tint to cover the backs of all my tanks, you can also paint the back of the tank or use the decorative vinyl paper LFS's stock to stop the diffused light from the window causing algae. As to testing, I go with Seachem tests only, API is fine for ammonia but for accuracy on all else, none is better than Seachem IMO.
    Life is tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid (John Wayne)
    If you're not angry, you are not paying attention (Ralph Nader)
    9 Tanks (2-29G QT) ranging from 150G to 10G for my 1/2 moon Beta
    https://youtu.be/avRN9X77jD4

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the AC. This is a good site to read information in and to post additional questions as you learn more about this fun hobby. I hope you might share your journey here. The many knowledgeable members of the AC are quite helpful and very friendly.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow