· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: No BB

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a fish. - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I do things the old school way which work. However I also will use the modern day elixirs, basically have you tried adding a few flakes or pellets and allow the system to break them down?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

2 Not allowed!
    Many times, the trIte part of a cycle goes by quickly, and can be missed...again, what is your trAte reading, presently?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

2 Not allowed!

You added ammonia three days ago, and it is now zero. Your tank is cycled. You haven't noticed because you've looking for nitrite. As Matt stated, the nitrite portion of the cycling process happens very quickly and a lot of folks miss it. You're not getting readings on your nitrite tests because your BB is converting the compound to nitrate before it has a chance to get to any meaningful level.

Don't dose any more ammonia and test all three compounds; ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. If you get 0ppm for both ammonia and nitrite, but register nitrate, you're cycled and ready to add some fish.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For doing a fine job with your first tank. - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    You all were right as usual! My Nitrate is 20ppm, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0. I tested for the Nitrates the first time the Ammonia went to zero, and there were none. I just assumed that I HAD to see Nitrites before the Trates. It all makes sense now. I could had gotten new fish a long time ago! I know I need to do a large water change to bring the nitrates down as well as the temperature. My 75g is 74f and this quarantine is at 82f. Question: I won't be able to get any new fish until Sunday, my in laws are in town :( so do I need to add a little ammonia to feed the BB Until I get some fish in the tank? If so, should I do the water change first or wait until after I change the water? Or should I just go ahead and change the water tomorrow and get fish Sunday? I'm not sure how long the BB will survive without any source of nutrient for them. Okay, so that was more than one question. Lol You all helped me cycle my first tank (36g) and now I have moved up to a 75g that is doing absolutely awesome! Thanks again and I look, forward to your answers to my numerous questions. And thanks Slaphppy for putting my posts into a journal
    I Am A Freshwater Fish In A Saltwater World
    Be The Rainbow In Someone Else's Cloud

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    You are very welcome.

Water change tomorrow, add fish Sunday...no need to add any more ammonia, your BB won't "starve" in a day or two, or even more

Get the QT tank temp the same as the 75G before transferring the fish from one tank to the other...whatever temp you plan on leaving the 75G at

The 75G already has fish?....how long will you QT the new ones?
    Last edited by Slaphppy7; 06-22-2019 at 12:44 PM.

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    My 75 g is at 74f. Yes it has fish in it. I upgraded from a 36g to the 75g in January of this year. I currently have 10 Black Neon Tetras, 8 Glolight Tetras, and 5 Peppered Corys. Except for a momentary ammonia spike, they all made the transfer well. They have plenty of room now! lol. I plan on getting some Gold Cloud Minnows first. I've had them before and they do well in 74f and are very peaceful. I plan on getting some more Corys, but not for several months. I want my tank to stay peaceful and quiet. I had some zebra danios in the past and they were very active and disruptive. Any ideas for another type of schooling fish that is quiet and peaceful and will do well in 74f and ph of 7.4? I plan on quarantining the new fish for 3 to 4 weeks

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Now, I remember the upgrade in your other thread with the 75G....what did you end up doing with the 36G?

I'm a tetra lover, the first thing I would do is up those schools of BN's and GL's.....in a tank that size, I'd have no less than 20 of each, 25 even better, if budget allows

And speaking of tetras, look at cardinals, rummynose, emperors, and pristellas...all should do fine with those params, and could be in big groups, as well...remind me how the 75G is filtered?

For a larger, (fairly) peaceful tetra, look at the Colombians

Tetras, aside, there's alot of considerations and options you have for a tank this size, provided it's filtered properly

Do your research, take your time, learn which fish will work well both with your water params, and as community (peaceful) fish

You could have 2 or 3 nice cory shoals, as well...and and ancistrus or pleco, as well

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Do you have a nice LFS nearby to buy fish locally (if so, I'm jealous), or do you order them online, like I'm forced to do?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

3 Not allowed!
    My 75g is filtered with a Fluval 406 Canister.I just tested 20 g quarantine and Ammonia is 0ppm, Nitrite 0ppm, Ph 7.4, Nitrate is between 5ppm and 10ppm, temp is 74f. The ph is slightly higher than my 75g which normally runs at 7.2. All tests done with API Master Test Kit. Also my 75g always registers 5ppm or less Nitrates. I usually do my water changes and gravel vac on Fridays, but will keep a close eye on the 20g and do water changes earlier if needed. Yes I do have a LFS. It opened 6 months ago. I have never bought fish from them, but have been in several times and the guy seems very knowledgeable and the tanks are very clean. So today will be the big day! Leaving in about an hour to get some new babies. I will give an update tonight. By the way, dont't be jealous of my LFS, just move to Las Vegas! (I would not recommend that at all lol)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Good luck with the newbies, update when you can.