· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on 3,000, have an oyster! (?) - Slaphppy7   For giving your daughter a tank, scaping rights included! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   sorry to hear about your knee. since you dont drink herea a slice - bpete   

Default What is wrong with my gourami?

0 Not allowed!
    This is Hannah. She is a wild-caught snakeskin gourami that we acquired last fall. She is suffering from what I'd call failure to thrive. She's kind of skinny, her head looks too big, she acts hungry but doesn't eat very much. Lately, her fins are looking a bit raggedy and she looks just a bit...crooked. No wormy protrusions anywhere; no visible external problems. Some photos below. Any ideas?
    Last edited by Slaphppy7; 03-04-2019 at 03:11 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on 3,000, have an oyster! (?) - Slaphppy7   For giving your daughter a tank, scaping rights included! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   sorry to hear about your knee. since you dont drink herea a slice - bpete   

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

0 Not allowed!
    What parasite medication have you used so far?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   Celebrating your amazing restoration work! - showmebutterfly   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    What size are your photos? I've noticed the forum seems more picky now about photo size
    Last edited by Slaphppy7; 03-04-2019 at 05:54 PM.
    "They had learned to speak, and so had won their first great victory over Time. Now the knowledge of one generation could be handed on to the next, so that each age could profit from those that had gone before." 2001: A Space Odyssey
    Arthur C. Clark

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    What parasite medication have you used so far?
    Nothing yet on this particular fish. I am pretty familiar with the use of Paraguard. Otherwise they are all new to me.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

0 Not allowed!
    Clown loaches can experience a "failure to thrive", and it's generally caused by internal parasites. The treatment would include dosing the tank water with levamisole hydrochloride at 2ppm dosage and praziquental. If that doesn't help then a follow-up with metro dosed food (best in gel-based food).

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas to You and Yours! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Win or lose, here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Cheers! - Slaphppy7   

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    You can get levamisole HCL (Prohibit brand) for ~$21 at 52g on Amazon, much cheaper than angelsplus.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Would you advise treating the entire tank, or removing her and treating in a QT tank?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I'm looking at getting either API general cure, which has 250 mg Metronidazole and 75 mg Praziquantel per dose, or Seachem Metroplex, which has metronidazole 70% and inactive ingredients 30%.

From what I'm reading on seachem support, one dissolves the med in a bit of "Garlic Guard," soaks the pellets or flakes in it, and feeds the affected fish. I'm planning on taking the gourami out and putting her in QT, but I might give a dose or two of medicated food to the main tank too as a preventative.

Does that sound right?

A lot of people recommend making gel foods with the med, but I have to keep it simple while I'm on crutches--there are just too many things I can't do. Even setting up the 10g qt tank is a multi-day process. So I have to keep this simple as possible.

Honestly, I'm tempted to just pop her in QT, treat her with paraguard for a week or two, and whatever happens happens. But Badgerling is very attached to this fish, so I want to give her the best chance I can.