· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

1 Not allowed!
    If one fish is affected, you might as well treat the whole tank.

You need Seachem Metroplex and Seachem focus. The problem with adding on the pellet food is that you lose some to the water column, whereas with gel food, you lose much less of the medication. The fish has to instantly eat the food, and not 30 seconds later. It's not that much harder to make the gel food than it is to make a food pellet slurry. Plus you can use 3% epsom salt solution to deal with even more parasites (1/2 cup of distilled water and 3/4 teaspoon of epsom salt).

The simplest and most expensive way is to treat with New Life Spectrum Hex Shield. Starve the fish for a week and feed the Hex shield pellets exclusively.
    Also, Metroplex doesn't treat all parasites. Levamisole HCL takes care of the ones that Metroplex and Praziquental doesn't deal with.

Paraguard is really only effective for external parasites.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on 3,000, have an oyster! (?) - Slaphppy7   For giving your daughter a tank, scaping rights included! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   sorry to hear about your knee. since you dont drink herea a slice - bpete   

1 Not allowed!
    Hm, I might just get some of that hex shield. It isn't really all that much more expensive than buying Metroplex, Focus, and Garlic Guard...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    Best of luck treating the tank.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on 3,000, have an oyster! (?) - Slaphppy7   For giving your daughter a tank, scaping rights included! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   sorry to hear about your knee. since you dont drink herea a slice - bpete   

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks, Nat. And thanks for the info, everybody, especially @Rocksor. As always, your expertise with fish diseases, meds, and chemistry is invaluable. You must tell me some time how you learned all of this...do you have a doctorate in aquatic biochemistry, or something?

I went ahead and ordered the Hex Shield .5 mm food. I expressed my reluctance to the Badgerling to spend $25 on medicine to save a $3 fish, just to see what she'd say (might as well get her accustomed to this particular challenge of fish keeping). She immediately offered to kick in half the cost from her allowance money. She really loves her Hannah fish. :)

Question: Hex Shield is invert safe, correct?

T

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

0 Not allowed!
    the only additional ingredients in Hex shield is metro, dissolved epsom salt, and garlic.