· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinions Wanted

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your son's recovery - Slaphppy7   Healing prayers for Henry - RiversGirl   DIY water chnager, nice job! - Slaphppy7   My heart goes out to you and your little boy.  He is so strong and so are you. - angelcraze2   Healing prayers for little Henry (superman) - Silbar   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   

Default Opinions Wanted

0 Not allowed!
    I have a couple of questions I would like opinions on.

For those of you that aren’t familiar with my tank it is a 38 gallon(36by19by12) that has two caves some large artificial plants and some live plants with a substrate that is sand and gravel mixture at about a 4:1 ratio.

Stocking is currently 11 serpae tetra mixture of long fin and standards. 10 zebra danios. 5 albino cory.

The tank has been established for about 6 months the danio and serpae seem very happy. The serpae are a nice deep red color at this point and display very good behavior. The cory catfish which at one point had a lot of fin nips from both the danio and serpae are displaying fewer and fewer as time goes along. That being said they still act a little timid in daylite hours and still have some nips.

Question 1... I have one standard serpae that seems to be the nippiest of the bunch by quite a margin. Has anyone had luck removing one fish from their shoal that seemed to be a trouble maker?

Question 2....thinking ahead on this one...my boys and I have a large interest in tiger barbs. Their school mascot is a tiger and we love the pictures and videos we have seen if tiger barbs. I have read and watched so many things on them and obviously they have a bit of a mixed reputation. This leads me to realistically probably 2 questions. If at some point in the next couple of years either the serpa live their life and pass on or I rehome them how do you believe 9 tiger barbs would fair in the tank?

Is there another fish that exhibits similar behavior and appearance that would be less “risky” in the tank that is readily available at stores? I’ve seen the snakeskin barb and the clown loach online but not sure I have seen them in stores.

Thanks in advance!
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your son's recovery - Slaphppy7   Healing prayers for Henry - RiversGirl   DIY water chnager, nice job! - Slaphppy7   My heart goes out to you and your little boy.  He is so strong and so are you. - angelcraze2   Healing prayers for little Henry (superman) - Silbar   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   

0 Not allowed!
    I apologize in advance for this thread being posted 3 times apparently. I edited some typos and it looks like it reposted each time instead of editing. At any rate if someone wants to delete the other two that is obviously fine with me.
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

4 Not allowed!
    Unfortunately, a clown loach needs a much larger tank than yours.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

4 Not allowed!
    The triple thread issue is fixed.

+1 to the above, clown loaches not only need to be in large groups, but they get too large for your tank.

I see no problem with rehoming the one troublesome serpae.

And TBH, if I were to keep tiger barbs, they'd be in a species-only tank, they're even more aggressive and nippy than the serpae....some have kept them with other fish with no issues, but in very large schools, in very big tanks.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    The triple thread issue is fixed.

+1 to the above, clown loaches not only need to be in large groups, but they get too large for your tank.

I see no problem with rehoming the one troublesome serpae.

And TBH, if I were to keep tiger barbs, they'd be in a species-only tank, they're even more aggressive and nippy than the serpae....some have kept them with other fish with no issues, but in very large schools, in very big tanks.
    Regarding the barbs that is kindof what I have gathered, seems like some have luck and others not at all. Any other similar looking fish that are less aggressive?
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Kindof like I said just looking ahead to what I might do different in the tank if given the opportunity. I like the serpae but in the end I think I’d like to try something different. I think I’ll always have cories, I like that the danios hang out upper strata and are active but I’m not stuck on them either. Was really hoping for some tiger barbs, but if I am limited to a species tank that might lean me a different way. If I go peaceful community tank obviously the option are vast, but what are some combinations you see as being good for using all levels of the tank, good activity, good color, and maybe some slight size variation.
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

3 Not allowed!

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    At some point I had stumbled across a thread on a forum online where people were literally just listing their tank size along with their current stock. It was an interesting thread which seemed to be a good stocking idea generator but I can’t seem to relocate it. I don’t even recall what forum it was on.
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post

I really like the look of those! A lot! Think they would be more suitable for a community tank than the serpae or the tiger barbs? Are they typically available in stores? Assuming they are still quick active and schooling like other barbs? That is one thing that drew me to the tigers other than the look was the fact that they seem to hang out together and tighter than some Tetras and they are even more active. Seems like the five banded are a little smaller than tigers when full grown only 2 inches rather than 3ish?

The tank is in the basement in a very long room. I’m hoping to get something that is either of a little
    Big bigger size or that schools a little closed so that it shows up a little more from further away.
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mspringer View Post
    At some point I had stumbled across a thread on a forum online where people were literally just listing their tank size along with their current stock. It was an interesting thread which seemed to be a good stocking idea generator but I can’t seem to relocate it. I don’t even recall what forum it was on.
    See here, IMO, it tends to be on the conservative side, but that can be a good thing, especially for beginners

http://www.aqadvisor.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Mspringer View Post
    I really like the look of those! A lot! Think they would be more suitable for a community tank than the serpae or the tiger barbs? Are they typically available in stores? Assuming they are still quick active and schooling like other barbs? That is one thing that drew me to the tigers other than the look was the fact that they seem to hang out together and tighter than some Tetras and they are even more active. Seems like the five banded are a little smaller than tigers when full grown only 2 inches rather than 3ish?

The tank is in the basement in a very long room. I’m hoping to get something that is either of a little
    Big bigger size or that schools a little closed so that it shows up a little more from further away.
    DEFINITELY a better consideration for a community fish over the serpae and TB's

I've never kept them, but would love to, some day