· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Opinions Wanted

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mspringer View Post
    Let’s say that five banded babes are unavailable and/or don’t seem like they would do well with a high PH what are everyone’s thoughts on black ruby barbs. Looks as though the females are striped and more of an orangish/yellow and the males are the purples reds and blacks. Everything I we read shows that these are much less nippy than Tigers. Would they be ok with the Cory and if we wanted a pearl gourami down the road?
    These should be a good alternative to the pentazonas from what I read. More compatible than tiger barbs and very nice looking, imo. I see no issue with cories. I haven't had pearl gouramis, but the black ruby barbs are supposed to be relatively peaceful so I would think things would go well.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your son's recovery - Slaphppy7   Healing prayers for Henry - RiversGirl   DIY water chnager, nice job! - Slaphppy7   My heart goes out to you and your little boy.  He is so strong and so are you. - angelcraze2   Healing prayers for little Henry (superman) - Silbar   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SueD View Post
    These should be a good alternative to the pentazonas from what I read. More compatible than tiger barbs and very nice looking, imo. I see no issue with cories. I haven't had pearl gouramis, but the black ruby barbs are supposed to be relatively peaceful so I would think things would go well.
    Thank you for the feedback. We are still going to look into the banded barbs more but if that doesn’t seem like it’s going to pan out then we will choose between ruby barbs and cherry barbs.
    ~Pray for Henry~

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

To new fish! - Slaphppy7   Second round ;) - Slaphppy7   It's a hot toddy. - Taurus   Here's to the "blue ribbon" tetra! - Slaphppy7   Hope you had a happy birthday! We are both March babies :) - discusluv   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Good advice from SueD on the Black ruby barbs, they are indeed more of a community fish than their Tiger barb cousins and 10-12 should fit your tank with room to spare for the Pearl gouramis if your still looking that way. Now, if you go the Cherry barb route; 12-15 would be a nice fit as they are smaller than the the Black rubies.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.” ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on 3,000, have an oyster! (?) - Slaphppy7   For giving your daughter a tank, scaping rights included! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   sorry to hear about your knee. since you dont drink herea a slice - bpete   

1 Not allowed!
    I've never kept black rubies, and I don't know much about them. THey sure are pretty, though!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your son's recovery - Slaphppy7   Healing prayers for Henry - RiversGirl   DIY water chnager, nice job! - Slaphppy7   My heart goes out to you and your little boy.  He is so strong and so are you. - angelcraze2   Healing prayers for little Henry (superman) - Silbar   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   

0 Not allowed!
    I am going to call the fish store tomorrow at some point. They thought they might be able to get some five banded barbs in and that if they could they would have them tomorrow. I am going to ask if they were wild caught or tank raised along with what ph they have at their store. Are there any other food questions I can ask that would help determine if they could live a happy healthy live in my tank assuming they were able to get them?

Cherries or black rubies are the backup plan of the bandeds fall through.
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by steeler58 View Post
    Good advice from SueD on the Black ruby barbs, they are indeed more of a community fish than their Tiger barb cousins and 10-12 should fit your tank with room to spare for the Pearl gouramis if your still looking that way. Now, if you go the Cherry barb route; 12-15 would be a nice fit as they are smaller than the the Black rubies.

In addition to my last post I would also like to ask, are pearl gouramies too aggressive for cherries if I ended up with a breeding pair? Aqadvisor throws a red flag.
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Serape tetra in my tank sure are active happy and colorful today. They are also being nicer than usual to the other fish in the tank. I think they are trying to make me change my mind about selling them.
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Let’s say I didn’t have the serape or danios in the tank what would you guys see as the most fun to watch and eye catching fish to stock in it with the cories that I have?
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhistlingBadger View Post
    I've never kept black rubies, and I don't know much about them. THey sure are pretty, though!
    Thanks for the feedback. What’s your thoughts on my last couple of posts?
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on 3,000, have an oyster! (?) - Slaphppy7   For giving your daughter a tank, scaping rights included! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   sorry to hear about your knee. since you dont drink herea a slice - bpete   

1 Not allowed!
    Well, as far as pearls, I think you'd probably be OK. In my experience, as long as you have more females than males (or just a pair), they do OK. The other fish learn to steer clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Mspringer View Post
    Let’s say I didn’t have the serape or danios in the tank what would you guys see as the most fun to watch and eye catching fish to stock in it with the cories that I have?
    Like I said, if this were my tank, I'd go with live bearers or some of the other high pH, hard-water loving fish. I don't like fighting water conditions. Better to go with the flow IMO. A small school of big sailfin mollies and a big school of sword tails, with some amano shrimp, a BNP, and the cories would be pretty cool.