· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinions Wanted

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your son's recovery - Slaphppy7   Healing prayers for Henry - RiversGirl   DIY water chnager, nice job! - Slaphppy7   My heart goes out to you and your little boy.  He is so strong and so are you. - angelcraze2   Healing prayers for little Henry (superman) - Silbar   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by steeler58 View Post
    Both times I had to lower the water in tank, remove plants and decorations in order to remove the TB's and return them to the LFS, even though everybody was stressed out it was better than watching them slowly kill everything :(
    Yikes, that’s unfortunate.

Well I think more or less I’m just going to keep things how they are for now. I might possibly offload the one serpae. It’s probably 3 times nippier than the rest. The others might nip and that’s only if there’s food involved. This other one will nip the cories every time it gets the chance if they come out in the day light when the serpae aren’t sleeping. I feel like it’s the one serpae keeping it from being an overall peaceful healthy tank. Once the serpae or others die off I’ll likly look into either a peaceful barb that can be part of a community or ill go for an all TB tank.
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus291 View Post
    Having a 3 inch schooling fish in a smaller tank definitely isn't ideal. A lot of people see the small ones in stores and think they will be fine in their 20g tank, but they grow pretty big. They are also really active fish that benefit from a longer tank
    I agree.

The reason why some are successful keeping tiger barbs with other tank mates is 1. they are in a BIG tank, and 2. the barbs are in a BIG school. They are a highly active fish and need the room for their activity-they also need the distraction of large school to keep aggression within their numbers and not on other tank inhabitants. Seriously fish recommends 8-10, I would go further and say at least 12 should be kept and a good ratio of males-or all males. I know many who have tiger barbs with corys and plecos and danios but in tanks that are at least 75 gallons. The 38 would be too small for a large enough number of tigers to be able to get along with anything else, I think the penatoza would be a better alternative as they are stripes and much less boisterous of a fish.

I am assuming you would be rehoming the other tank inhabitants if you decided to go with tiger barbs? Your current stocking level is at 90%, adding 10 tigers brings it to 123% (vs 120% for same # of penatoza) which isn't that bad but depends on what filtration you have on the tank. I guessed it was a AC50. They barbs will probably go after the long fin serpae.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your son's recovery - Slaphppy7   Healing prayers for Henry - RiversGirl   DIY water chnager, nice job! - Slaphppy7   My heart goes out to you and your little boy.  He is so strong and so are you. - angelcraze2   Healing prayers for little Henry (superman) - Silbar   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    I agree.

The reason why some are successful keeping tiger barbs with other tank mates is 1. they are in a BIG tank, and 2. the barbs are in a BIG school. They are a highly active fish and need the room for their activity-they also need the distraction of large school to keep aggression within their numbers and not on other tank inhabitants. Seriously fish recommends 8-10, I would go further and say at least 12 should be kept and a good ratio of males-or all males. I know many who have tiger barbs with corys and plecos and danios but in tanks that are at least 75 gallons. The 38 would be too small for a large enough number of tigers to be able to get along with anything else, I think the penatoza would be a better alternative as they are stripes and much less boisterous of a fish.

I am assuming you would be rehoming the other tank inhabitants if you decided to go with tiger barbs? Your current stocking level is at 90%, adding 10 tigers brings it to 123% (vs 120% for same # of penatoza) which isn't that bad but depends on what filtration you have on the tank. I guessed it was a AC50. They barbs will probably go after the long fin serpae.
    Filtration consists of 2 ac 50s so I’m in pretty good shape when it comes to that I believe. And my plan if I added tiger barbs was to swap the serpaes for tiger barbs which should keep the stocking in the 90 range.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Mspringer; 02-27-2019 at 03:33 AM.
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    Your tank is the smallest size they recommend for tigers. I would either go for the penatoza or get a bigger tank. I wouldn't put them in anything smaller than a 75. Why not a 55, well because the 75 is 5 inches wider and they are wide fish so will need the room. Its my opinion.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Your tank is the smallest size they recommend for tigers. I would either go for the penatoza or get a bigger tank. I wouldn't put them in anything smaller than a 75. Why not a 55, well because the 75 is 5 inches wider and they are wide fish so will need the room. Its my opinion.
    Thanks for the feedback. The smallest tank who reccomends? Every website I have seen shows either a minimum of 20 gallons or I’ve seen 30” in length. I’ve got 38 gallons and 36” in length which is a fairly good amount bigger than both of those. Obviously bigger I’d always better but when considering tigers I haven’t found anything yet suggesting that my tank was too small, maybe just too small if considering them in a community tank. Where did you find info suggesting my tank was the minimum size they recommend? A bigger tank isn’t going to happen. And I really like the five banded I’ll probably get some of those if I get the chance but I still haven’t outruled doing a barb tank.
    Last edited by Mspringer; 02-27-2019 at 08:46 PM.
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    The info I read from SeriouslyFish did state dimensions of 30*80 cm which is roughly (rounding up) 12*31.5". Other sites top this off by saying for six barbs which is not the recommended school of at least 8 to 10. If you are going to have other fish with the tigers-you need to make sure there are enough tigers to keep aggression within the school and not on the other fish. You are not re homing the corys correct? They will be nipped on again by the tigers, like the serpae were nipping because they weren't in a big enough school as well. Tiger barbs can get to be 1.5" wide, they are solid fish, not slimjims.

5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    The info I read from SeriouslyFish did state dimensions of 30*80 cm which is roughly (rounding up) 12*31.5". Other sites top this off by saying for six barbs which is not the recommended school of at least 8 to 10. If you are going to have other fish with the tigers-you need to make sure there are enough tigers to keep aggression within the school and not on the other fish. You are not re homing the corys correct? They will be nipped on again by the tigers, like the serpae were nipping because they weren't in a big enough school as well. Tiger barbs can get to be 1.5" wide, they are solid fish, not slimjims.

If I got tiger barbs I would do minimum of 9. I currently have 11 serpae tetra in a school. If I kept 5 cories 10 zebra danios regimes the serpae and added the 9 barbs that would put me at 96% stocking according to aq advisor.

If I decided to just convert to having a tab tank I would think the 38 could easily House 15 of them. I really donít think tank size is an issue other than with me wanting a community tank.

Realistically based on all of the reading Iíve done and the opinions on here i think that I will likely either just stick with the serpae for a while and then maybe convert to an all tb tank or Iíll try to get ahold of some of those five banded barbs and swap the serpae our for them.
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Not letting me edit the last post but that should say rehome the serpae not regimes...and that should say tb tank not tab lol.
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    i was going to recommend these yesterday but wans't sure how available they are, then I saw them here:

https://aquaticarts.com/collections/...an-banded-barb

I have purchased from them before and they are in Indiana so not far travel to you (or me). You can get 12 for ~$41 plus shipping since they are on sale right now.
    While they QT you can re home the serpae. They are smaller so would be a better fit for the 38, but still beauties of a (tiger) fish.

Last edited by Boundava; 02-28-2019 at 06:54 PM.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    i was going to recommend these yesterday but wans't sure how available they are, then I saw them here:

https://aquaticarts.com/collections/...an-banded-barb

I have purchased from them before and they are in Indiana so not far travel to you (or me). You can get 12 for ~$41 plus shipping since they are on sale right now.
    While they QT you can re home the serpae. They are smaller so would be a better fit for the 38, but still beauties of a (tiger) fish.

Thanks so much for the info!
    ~Pray for Henry~