· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinions Wanted

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your son's recovery - Slaphppy7   Healing prayers for Henry - RiversGirl   DIY water chnager, nice job! - Slaphppy7   My heart goes out to you and your little boy.  He is so strong and so are you. - angelcraze2   Healing prayers for little Henry (superman) - Silbar   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    See here, IMO, it tends to be on the conservative side, but that can be a good thing, especially for beginners

http://www.aqadvisor.com/

DEFINITELY a better consideration for a community fish over the serpae and TB's

I've never kept them, but would love to, some day
    Oh I’ve used aqadvisor a thousand times lol, the one I am referring to was just people posting in a thread on a forum somewhere but I can’t seem to find it again.

I really really like the look of those fish. Maybe 9 to 12 of them? Any suggestions as to what else would go well with them? I like the cories, is there a centerpiece type fish that is maybe a little
    Larger that would do good with them?
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mspringer View Post
    Kindof like I said just looking ahead to what I might do different in the tank if given the opportunity. I like the serpae but in the end I think I’d like to try something different. I think I’ll always have cories, I like that the danios hang out upper strata and are active but I’m not stuck on them either. Was really hoping for some tiger barbs, but if I am limited to a species tank that might lean me a different way. If I go peaceful community tank obviously the option are vast, but what are some combinations you see as being good for using all levels of the tank, good activity, good color, and maybe some slight size variation.
    This is why many of us have multiple tanks (I have 7). There's so many options out there and the longer you are in the hobby, the more your interests will expand into different species. That doesn't take away from the joy of the first tank and first species chosen; just adds some possibilities for additional tanks.

I would suggest that you enjoy what you've built so far, removing/rehoming the offending serpae, and continue to research what might be next for you. Planning a community of different compatible species sometimes means finding that one fish you have to have and building around it. Other times, you can find several species that will work nicely with others and make for a great, active (or calm) tank.

I've done both and enjoyed both, from single species nano tanks (5g) to larger community tanks (20g and 40g). I prefer to add species slowly to the larger tanks "just in case" I find something that I hadn't thought of. But compatibility - both in terms of temperament and water parameters - is key. I have mostly tetras, pencilfish and cories but if I were in a place to add another tank (I'm not!) I would consider a barb tank. It would, however, consist of the milder barbs such as Odessa, snakeskin, black ruby, or pentazona.

This video will show you a tiger barb/clown loach tank. No need to watch the entire video but you will see the potential size of the clown loaches within the first few minutes. Not practical for the average hobbyist.

If you can re-home the nippy tetra that might be a good thing for the rest of the inhabitants.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your son's recovery - Slaphppy7   Healing prayers for Henry - RiversGirl   DIY water chnager, nice job! - Slaphppy7   My heart goes out to you and your little boy.  He is so strong and so are you. - angelcraze2   Healing prayers for little Henry (superman) - Silbar   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    See here, IMO, it tends to be on the conservative side, but that can be a good thing, especially for beginners

http://www.aqadvisor.com/

DEFINITELY a better consideration for a community fish over the serpae and TB's

I've never kept them, but would love to, some day
    Quote Originally Posted by SueD View Post
    This is why many of us have multiple tanks (I have 7). There's so many options out there and the longer you are in the hobby, the more your interests will expand into different species. That doesn't take away from the joy of the first tank and first species chosen; just adds some possibilities for additional tanks.

I would suggest that you enjoy what you've built so far, removing/rehoming the offending serpae, and continue to research what might be next for you. Planning a community of different compatible species sometimes means finding that one fish you have to have and building around it. Other times, you can find several species that will work nicely with others and make for a great, active (or calm) tank.

I've done both and enjoyed both, from single species nano tanks (5g) to larger community tanks (20g and 40g). I prefer to add species slowly to the larger tanks "just in case" I find something that I hadn't thought of. But compatibility - both in terms of temperament and water parameters - is key. I have mostly tetras, pencilfish and cories but if I were in a place to add another tank (I'm not!) I would consider a barb tank. It would, however, consist of the milder barbs such as Odessa, snakeskin, black ruby, or pentazona.

This video will show you a tiger barb/clown loach tank. No need to watch the entire video but you will see the potential size of the clown loaches within the first few minutes. Not practical for the average hobbyist.

If you can re-home the nippy tetra that might be a good thing for the rest of the inhabitants.
    I have seen this video before. Very cool!

I agree with your advise and am working on potentially rehoming the one serpae and then will likely stick with the rest of them for a while. I am however continuing to develop future plans for the tank. A second tank other than my QT is not really an option for me at this time.
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Stopped at one of the biggest fish stores in Ohio today after a doctors appointment. They did not have the five banded barbs but said they planned to buy some and would have them within a couple of weeks. Not sure I would be ready for then then but might go take a look at them in person then.
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Also a question. So let’s say I went the route of tiger barbs , is there a bottom dweller other than a cory that is ok with tiger barbs?
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   Celebrating your amazing restoration work! - showmebutterfly   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Some of the smaller loaches. Yo yos comes to mind.
    "They had learned to speak, and so had won their first great victory over Time. Now the knowledge of one generation could be handed on to the next, so that each age could profit from those that had gone before." 2001: A Space Odyssey
    Arthur C. Clark

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I see so much mixed stuff about tigers. It makes me almost want tonjudt try it and see how it goes.
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    That is if I canít get ahold of some five bandeds
    ~Pray for Henry~

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

To new fish! - Slaphppy7   Second round ;) - Slaphppy7   It's a hot toddy. - Taurus   Here's to the "blue ribbon" tetra! - Slaphppy7   Hope you had a happy birthday! We are both March babies :) - discusluv   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mspringer View Post
    Also a question. So let’s say I went the route of tiger barbs , is there a bottom dweller other than a cory that is ok with tiger barbs?
    FYI, the Tiger barbs will harass and nip your corys fins just as they will most other fish, that being said; other people have kept them together with no problems.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

ďBe more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.Ē ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by steeler58 View Post
    FYI, the Tiger barbs will harass and nip your corys fins just as they will most other fish, that being said; other people have kept them together with no problems.
    So your saying I should Try it???
    ~Pray for Henry~