· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who do i trust

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    I use a calibratable waterproof pocket thermometer to spot check all of my tanks temps, similar to this one, there's many out there, just make sure it's easy to calibrate

https://www.amazon.com/Comark-Instru...r+calibratable

Calibrate easily with ice water

https://www.foodrepublic.com/2011/04...d-thermometer/

They are also very handy to have on hand when checking tap temp, before refilling a tank during a WC
    Last edited by Slaphppy7; 02-16-2019 at 03:56 PM.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Healing vibes.  Read and rest your fingers! - RiversGirl   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! (USA) - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I use to run the modern temp probes.
    Ended up finding them way to inaccurate, so when back the the old school glass mercury ones.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Can't buy the mercury ones in the States anymore, all of the glass ones here are alcohol filled...and not the most accurate
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   

0 Not allowed!
    Whether filled with mercury or alcohol, if a glass thermometer breaks inside the tank, your fish are in big trouble.
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mermaidwannabe View Post
    Whether filled with mercury or alcohol, if a glass thermometer breaks inside the tank, your fish are in big trouble.
    Are you taking about it affecting water quality and poisoning the fish? That didn't happen to me when my oscar broke the glass thermometer after biting it. It tore his skin on his lips, and I removed the broken pieces out after it had been sitting in the tank for a few hours. I've known other folks who had their big fish break the thermometer and find it broken the next morning. No health issue to the fish.

Back to the OPs question. Digital thermometers can be off just like analog thermometers that aren't confirmed to have been calibrated. The best thermometer is the one calibrated by the manufacturer to the proper standard like a NIST certified thermometer. The calibrations do "expire" and are not guaranteed for the life of the thermometer.

https://www.thomassci.com/scientific...ed-Thermometer

Be aware that taking the temperature at the surface doesn't guarantee that the bottom temperature of the tank is the same, and most of the time it is cooler by a degree or so.
    Last edited by Rocksor; 02-25-2019 at 02:44 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    I use a calibratable waterproof pocket thermometer to spot check all of my tanks temps, similar to this one, there's many out there, just make sure it's easy to calibrate

https://www.amazon.com/Comark-Instru...r+calibratable

Calibrate easily with ice water

https://www.foodrepublic.com/2011/04...d-thermometer/

They are also very handy to have on hand when checking tap temp, before refilling a tank during a WC

You should calibrate the thermometer for both boiling and ice method.

https://www.iddba.org/training-mater....aspx?ext=.pdf

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    Are you taking about it affecting water quality and poisoning the fish? That didn't happen to me when my oscar broke the glass thermometer after biting it. It tore his skin on his lips, and I removed the broken pieces out after it had been sitting in the tank for a few hours. I've known other folks who had their big fish break the thermometer and find it broken the next morning. No health issue to the fish.

Back to the OPs question. Digital thermometers can be off just like analog thermometers that aren't confirmed to have been calibrated. The best thermometer is the one calibrated by the manufacturer to the proper standard like a NIST certified thermometer. The calibrations do "expire" and are not guaranteed for the life of the thermometer.

https://www.thomassci.com/scientific...ed-Thermometer

Be aware that taking the temperature at the surface doesn't guarantee that the bottom temperature of the tank is the same, and most of the time it is cooler by a degree or so.
    If either mercury or alcohol leaks out into the water, I would think it would be deadly. And the shards of broken glass could injure fish, as well. If your fish weren't poisoned, it was probably because none of the liquid leaked out, though it did tear his lip. If they swallow any glass shards, they're in trouble, too. I'm just not sure that glass thermometers are the safest to use in aquariums.

That said, I use the adhesive strip thermometers that you attached to the outside of the glass. The squares change color with the changes in temperature. Since I have coldwater tanks, it isn't as critical as with tropicals.
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    The thermometer was broken in multiple pieces in the middle so I'm pretty sure that the alcohol leaked out. The oscar was only 4" at the time.

I wouldn't use it in the same aquarium as big fish, but for little community fish 1-2" there's no way for them to break it.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Hi rookie,

I would be inclined to put my trust in the glass thermometer. Low-cost electronic digital thermometers are notoriously inaccurate. Unfortunately, people are misled by the one decimal place resolution. So, in your case, this is the .2F part of the 82.2F. It may give one decimal place resolution but could still be (and often are) only accurate to +/- 3F. I have bought several low-cost digitals over the years and they vary wildly in their readings. In the end, I purchased a certified accuracy digital thermometer of +/-0.2C.

JPC
    Last edited by jaypeecee; 03-29-2019 at 05:35 PM.