· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a frontosa, to start your collection - Slaphppy7   4 the help - rookie   

Default show me your favorite pleco

3 Not allowed!
    I' m sorry I should have said your favorite pleco or plecos. 1st is a honey cone bn, the 2nd is a vampire, the 3rd is a plain old bn (Mr. Agley) Lets see yours.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family :-) - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you too! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Can you name the various varieties that you have? I am not too familiar with the species.
    You have some really nice ones.

I have several varieties of plecos but I rarely see mine. I guess they are nocturnal or generally shy.
    The one I do see a lot of is my Blue Phantom Pleco that is 8 inches. He cannot hide from me very well. Actually, he is very busy during the day and is not shy.

This is a picture from a few months ago:

I have 2 L270's:
    I never see them unless I move some wood aside. I donty think IO even have a picture of them.
    Here is what they look like, but mine are still juveniles:

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/...g&action=click

I have this very small pleco in my 180g ( L201) that I rarely see that is so beautiful that it makes me mad that I put it in the big tank where it can always hide.
    I do see it ( just saw it yesterday) but it comes in and out of hiding places. Its maybe 2 inches long.

It looks like this:

Also, I have 3 Long fin- Calico ancistrus.

This makes me realize that I really need to work on trying to get pictures of these guys.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Wow, that phantom is really nice! Most of the pretty plecos hide all the time. I have 4 king tigers that I see once a month if I'm lucky. The only ones I see more often are the red and albino bn's.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Hiding is the main issue I have with plecos. (large bio loads, too) Some of them are so beautiful (and I'm tempted often) but it's hard to appreciate them when you never see them. I've had the albino BNP and brown BNP and have bred them in the past. Having them breed is easy and fun, until you can't get rid of all the fry.

I have only one brown BNP now which was a fry I missed when I finally sold all my others. He spends all of his time in the middle of a massive anubias under different leaves. I only know he is even still there when the zucchini is decimated overnight.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family :-) - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you too! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I think the trick may be to get plecos that get larger. Above 6 inches. But then you have to have a tank of at least 55 gallons to put them in.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SueD View Post
    Hiding is the main issue I have with plecos. (large bio loads, too) Some of them are so beautiful (and I'm tempted often) but it's hard to appreciate them when you never see them. I've had the albino BNP and brown BNP and have bred them in the past. Having them breed is easy and fun, until you can't get rid of all the fry.

I have only one brown BNP now which was a fry I missed when I finally sold all my others. He spends all of his time in the middle of a massive anubias under different leaves. I only know he is even still there when the zucchini is decimated overnight.
    I mainly breed the long fins in super red German stains and the Czech strain that stays about 3.5 inches. I also breed albinos. I
    find the browns almost impossible to even give away, even thro it's one of my favorites.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    I don't have them anymore, but my tiger plecos L002. I had to rehome them :bcry: because they were sucking on the sides of my angelfish at night. They were so beautiful in my tank. They were not seen during the daylight hours either though. They slept in an artificial DW log, it was actually the way I ultimately got them out of the tank. I think they were breeding, or getting ready to and that's why I never saw them during the day, but I never saw eggs or fry.
    Male L002
    20180904_014645.jpg
    20181107_151619.jpg

The male and female (I think) before I rehomed them in the travel container
    20190211_143214.jpg
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    The one thing that seems strange to me is plecos having the rep of huge bio loads. I have 12 breeder size LF reds in a 75 gallon ( only 1 male of course) and the tank really does not require any extra maintenance compared to my other tanks. The picture I'm posting is of a 39 gallon, that I never had a problem, I only changed half the water every 3 days.
    Attached Images Attached Images