· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on 3,000, have an oyster! (?) - Slaphppy7   For giving your daughter a tank, scaping rights included! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   sorry to hear about your knee. since you dont drink herea a slice - bpete   

Default Low-light alternatives to cabomba/ambulia?

1 Not allowed!
    I guess the title says it. I like the look of cabomba and ambulia, but they grow so fast and get so leggy I have to replace them after a month or two. Pulling and replanting the tops only works so many times before the plants are too weakened to grow much further.

Anybody know of any plants with that same general look that can thrive in a medium light tank?

T

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on 3,000, have an oyster! (?) - Slaphppy7   For giving your daughter a tank, scaping rights included! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   sorry to hear about your knee. since you dont drink herea a slice - bpete   

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I will ask around, I find this happens with most of the feathery stem plants so I can't really think of an alternative off the top of my head. sis may know-or someone in her group may.
    Two 5.5g- Shrimp tanks; 1st with Bloody Mary and Rose shrimp and 2nd with Blue Dream shrimp
    Two-55 gallon tubs, 1st w/ 1BN pleco male, 3 clown pleco, gouramis, kuhli and female betta; 2nd w/female BN pleco, albino, panda and pgymy corys, and male betta.
    One tub with 90% plants and one Diva-pea puffer.

75g-now the TUB tanks:
    5.5 G Shrimp Tanks
    75g-Goldfish Tank

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Sis has some limno aromatica growing, its busy and has thin leaves. she has been trimming it, started with 5 stems and has a great wall of it in the 15 gallon puffer tank. Its the plant behind the blyxa...

image(1).jpg
    image.jpg
    you have no idea how nice it is to be able to upload photos-even if I have to re-size them.

Also looking for similar plants I found this-never had it so I don't know if it gets leggy.

I have had cabomba so I know what a mess it turns out when planted, it really does best floating around.
    Two 5.5g- Shrimp tanks; 1st with Bloody Mary and Rose shrimp and 2nd with Blue Dream shrimp
    Two-55 gallon tubs, 1st w/ 1BN pleco male, 3 clown pleco, gouramis, kuhli and female betta; 2nd w/female BN pleco, albino, panda and pgymy corys, and male betta.

75g-now the TUB tanks:
    5.5 G Shrimp Tanks
    75g-Goldfish Tank

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Sis has some limno aromatica growing, its busy and has thin leaves. she has been trimming it, started with 5 stems and has a great wall of it in the 15 gallon puffer tank. Its the plant behind the blyxa...
    Lol, I meant bushy not busy... Sis also said that when trimmed the new growth branches off in a V, so the more trimming the more branching= a shrub
    Last edited by Boundava; 02-14-2019 at 03:46 PM.

75g-now the TUB tanks:
    5.5 G Shrimp Tanks
    75g-Goldfish Tank

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    Lol, I meant bushy not busy... Sis also said that when trimmed the new growth branches off in a V, so the more trimming the more branching= a shrub
    Well, busy is nice too. If there's anything I can't tolerate, it's an idle, lazy plant.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   Celebrating your amazing restoration work! - showmebutterfly   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    When I had stargrass in my tank it really filled in well!
    "They had learned to speak, and so had won their first great victory over Time. Now the knowledge of one generation could be handed on to the next, so that each age could profit from those that had gone before." 2001: A Space Odyssey
    Arthur C. Clark

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus291 View Post
    When I had stargrass in my tank it really filled in well!
    I've had good luck with stargrass short term, but it always seems to fade out after a few months. Maybe it's just a short-lived plant?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   Celebrating your amazing restoration work! - showmebutterfly   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhistlingBadger View Post
    I've had good luck with stargrass short term, but it always seems to fade out after a few months. Maybe it's just a short-lived plant?
    I'm not sure, the severum I had tore it out while it was still thriving lol. I'm thinking about ordering some more so I can learn more once I get it.
    "They had learned to speak, and so had won their first great victory over Time. Now the knowledge of one generation could be handed on to the next, so that each age could profit from those that had gone before." 2001: A Space Odyssey
    Arthur C. Clark