· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Eheim Filter flow slow

0 Not allowed!
    Hi,

after last filter cleaning, had a problem starting it, my bad, didn't prime it properly. Eventually it started and since then, filter flow is very slow, need to get hose just above water line to get some water movements, when after previous cleanings outflow was very strong, moving surface water even hose submerged 5cm. Sometimes can be heard clicking noise, overly probably a bit noisier than before. Tried to turn filter from side to side, nothing changes. Opened again today to inspect impeller, but it looked fine. Don't know what's wrong with it. Any ideas?
    thank you.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

0 Not allowed!
    Clicking means that you don't have enough water in the impeller chamber. I never restart the eheim with the output below the water line because it requires more power and keeps air trapped in the chamber longer. When connecting the water line, make sure that the output has no water in it. Keep the output above the waterline, and it may take up to 15 minutes before you get full flow back. Only then put the output below the water line.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    ok, thanks. What crackling and rattling sounds mean then? don't know how to exactly describe what I am hearing. it is not loud, but a new sound

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lina00 View Post
    ok, thanks. What crackling and rattling sounds mean then? don't know how to exactly describe what I am hearing. it is not loud, but a new sound
    It means there is too much air in the impeller chamber. If there is no air, then there will be barely any sound coming from the motor.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I took out filter once again. Impeller hole looks a bit worn up, but when I tried to run filter only submerging head of it, the flow was very strong, similar I was having before in a tank.
    Would that mean, that filter media reducing the flow? but I had the same combination of media for 5 years with no problems. Totally don't know what the issue is..

20190211_175243.jpg

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    ok, so I tried to get the air out by rotating filter from one side to another and water started leaking when being 45 degree angle at his side. If the air constantly leaks in to the canister can this significantly reduce flow rate? Is the air can only leak through that sealing ring? knowing, that flow was ok without canister on. Can canister clips have any impact on sealing? now they don't clip on as tight as few years ago.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lina00 View Post
    ok, so I tried to get the air out by rotating filter from one side to another and water started leaking when being 45 degree angle at his side. If the air constantly leaks in to the canister can this significantly reduce flow rate? Is the air can only leak through that sealing ring? knowing, that flow was ok without canister on. Can canister clips have any impact on sealing? now they don't clip on as tight as few years ago.
    The canister should be tight with no leakage anywhere. If you have leakage, then either the o-ring is compromised, the clips aren't working properly, or something is loose. If this is the canister head, get a new o-ring, and canister clips. You will also need food-grade silicone grease.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    thank you ever so much. Do I need to apply grease on O-ring as well as where it sits?
    I will post a reply once I replace all that.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Just all around the o-ring.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    So have changed O ring and clips, nothing changed, then have bought new impeller- nothing changed, flow not as strong as it was. Have no idea what's wrong with it, seems that something somewhere blocking something. Next step probably to change tubes