· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congratulations on your award - Celtic Fins   Here is yours! lol - Northernguy   Its appreciated! - Northernguy   I hope it's still cold. Cheers - Strider199   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

Default Fishless cycling frustrations

0 Not allowed!
    Hey guys. Im just getting back into the hobby after loosing my tanks in 2012 to a hurricane/flood. Now i got a new 55g im starting from scratch and im getting impatient waiting to be able to add fish. The kids keep asking when r the fish comming. Ill try to give as much info as possible with the least amout of words.
    Started on christmas
    Jan15 drained tank and rinsed out (learned ammonia used had surfactant)
    Refilled added prime and dr tims ammonia and bacteria
    Saw nitrite within a few days
    About 10 days jan 25th api master test kit reads 5-10ppm nitrAte
    About day 15 of jan 31st nitrIte off the chart nitrAte 20ppm ph dropped from 7.6 to 6.4 fearful that my low ph would stall the cycle i did a large water change.
    After W/C ph 7.6 nitrItes 2-5 nitrAtes close to 0
    Today nitIte off the chart nitrAte mabe 5ppm or so.
    I tried to make this short but im just frustrated and trying to move this along my temp is 82 right now i had it higher but didnt want to get too warm at one point my digital temp was 84 and glass tube was 86 and didnt know who to trust.
    I have a hob powerhead 350gph
    I also have another bottle of dr tims bacteria and wasnt sure if i should dump it in or be patient.

I know u guys r the best thank u in advance. But what do u take from this. What can i do to get this cycle done
    Currently
    55gal
    23 Mbuna

Decommissioned
    10 gallon FOWLR Cycling
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=82475

110 gallon planted
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=50266

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    When you first registered trItes, did you 1/2 the original dose of the Dr. Tim's?

Is the ammonia being consumed within 24 hours after dosing?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

2 Not allowed!
    sounds like the nitrobacter ( species responsible for nitrite conversion) is still establishing so did you dose more ammonia after the water change and did it convert to 0ppm in 24 hrs like slap mentioned?

You are knocking on the door of a "complete cycle" just a little while longer until the trites also convert within 24 hrs

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congratulations on your award - Celtic Fins   Here is yours! lol - Northernguy   Its appreciated! - Northernguy   I hope it's still cold. Cheers - Strider199   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    Yes i did dose ammonia up to about 1 or 2ppm. And i dose everytime it starts to get down to .25 it usually takes a wile to get down to the .25 its been about 5 days since i last added ammonia and right now im getting close to the .25 i think this time i will let it go down all the way to 0. Btw should i add prime when i add the ammonia? And i should my ammonia be dropping faster at this point. And lastley should i dump another bottle of dr tims bacteria in. I haveva extra but didnt know if it would disrupt things
    Currently
    55gal
    23 Mbuna

Decommissioned
    10 gallon FOWLR Cycling

110 gallon planted

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Please reread the Fishless Cycling sticky, you never add additional ammonia until it reaches 0 in the tank

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Ammonia and nitrites should both drop to 0 within a day in a fully cycled tank. You are getting there, as frustrating as it is, and often the nitrite part of the cycle seems to take longer to start to drop. Have patience.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Ok i read the stickys again. I have read them in the past but its been a wile and i can see some of the mistakes i have made such as changing the water and adding ammonia begore getting to 0. I tested today and levels seem unchanged.

I saw stickys not to use "bacteria boosters" does dr tims one and only classify as a booster because when i first started it seemed to help i got nitrites really quick. I have a extra bottle should i use it to help complete the cycle.
    Currently
    55gal
    23 Mbuna

Decommissioned
    10 gallon FOWLR Cycling

110 gallon planted

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I wouldn't use any bacteria boosters, they really aren't necessary

At this point, let things go, until you have 0 ammonia and 0 trIte

Maintain temp around 82F, and get an air bubbler going, if you have one

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Ok ty for the confirmation. I guess patience really is the roughest part of cycling
    Currently
    55gal
    23 Mbuna

Decommissioned
    10 gallon FOWLR Cycling

110 gallon planted