· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default New filter recommendation

0 Not allowed!
    Hi everyone

I have a 58 litres / ~15 gallons community tank.
    My filter is an Eheim Aquaball 2206 which came with the tank when was bought. I think it's not as powerful as i would need for that tank, and it doesn't look good inside the tank to be honest, taking up quite some space. I tried to hide it behind some plants but i still don't like it.
    Anyway, i would look into replacing it with something better in terms of both filtration capability and visuals.

I read about the filters here on the forum, it looks like canister filters are the best for filtration, but is it really needed for a tank this size?
    Then on 2nd place i'm guessing a HOB filter would be good, and probably better suited for my tank size.

So here i am asking for recommendations:

1. what type should i get for my tank, canister or HOB?
    2. any brands/models you would recommend for me?

Thank you,
    Alex

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

2 Not allowed!
    Get an HOB, there's no need for a canister filter for a tank this size.

I like the Aquaclear filters, many here have started using the newer Tidal filters with great results.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas to You and Yours! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Win or lose, here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Cheers! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I'm not sure if hang on the back (HOB) filters are available where the alex lives? If not then a small external canister filter would be the other option.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Well, I assumed they are available, since the OP asked "canister or HOB"?

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas to You and Yours! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Win or lose, here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Cheers! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    If HOBs are available there try to find one that uses media in the form of sponges and biomedia pellets.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
    I'm not sure if hang on the back (HOB) filters are available where the alex lives? If not then a small external canister filter would be the other option.
    hahaha :D

i'm in Europe, more precisely in Malta. we have pretty much everything around here, the only thing is they might be different brands. (i.e. haven't seen Seachem Prime, yet. maybe i'll find it in other shops i haven't checked yet)
    So i definitely seen HOB filters around and i think some were actually Aquaclear brand. i read good things about this one, i will look into them more. Any other brand suggestions are welcome.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    I'd put an AquaClear 30 on a 15G tank.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.mares View Post
    So i definitely seen HOB filters around and i think some were actually Aquaclear brand. i read good things about this one, i will look into them more. Any other brand suggestions are welcome.
    Oh good Alex and I agree with Matt on the Aquaclear 30 for your tank. The Seachem Tidals are good filter as well but the smallest one they make is the Tidal 55 which would probably be over kill (to much current) for your tank. I think the important thing is to look for one that has a media chamber set up similar to a canister filter that can do both mechanical and biological filtration....actually chemical filtration too but that's not as important as the first two and can be accomplished with simple water changes most of the time.

And when you come right down to it even a HOB that uses cartridges can be modified to meet your needs. There's really not a need to buy new cartridges all the time.
    Last edited by Taurus; 02-01-2019 at 05:27 PM.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Thanks everyone

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    hi again guys.

So i got an Aquaclear 30 and put it in my tank instead of the old one. the tank looks much better now without an ugly filter taking a lot of space, and the water much more clear as well. i had it for like 2 weeks and i am happy with it.

i have an additional sort of related question. do any of you guys use only this filter to create surface motion? or do you have an air stone as well? i have had an air stone from the beginning, but now thinking maybe i can get rid of it and just keep the filter doing the motion? You think that would be enough for my 15g tank?