· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Thank you all for all the answers.

Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    What type of filter do you have on a tank? If your filter comes with a removable cartridge that they recommend that you dispose of on a regular basis do not dispose of it.
    I have an EHEIM Aquaball 2206 filter, with some 2 normal sponges inside. never changed them, just rinsed in ex-tank water. I will look into replacing them with some bacteria foam/media.

Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    the highest amount of trIte the API test will indicate is 5 PPM...you could have much more than that, hence the reading not changing after a 50% WC ..... If you have a nearby faucet with a screw-off aerator, one of these would make your WC's MUCH easier
    unfortunately i don't have it nearby a faucet. I will perform them anyway with the dedicated bucket. makes sense what you are saying about the much bigger level and not budging after 50% WC.

Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    Adding more before the nitrogen cycle can catch up exasperated the sitch.
    Have you seen this sticky yet?
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492
    Are you familiar with the nitrogen cycle?

Which water conditioner are you using?
    I don't plan to add more fish until i am sure the tank is cycled and all is good.
    i seen the sticky, i read a lot of things on this forum. also read a lot about the nitrogen cycle so i think i understand it quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    Test using a liquid test. Test strips are next to useless.
    Yes, that's what i am using. I got the API Freshwater Master test kit - it has bottles for PH, High range PH, Ammonia 1 & 2, Nitrate 1& 2, Nitrite.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    What is your trAte reading, presently?

When conducting the test, be certain you shake bottle #2 of the test solution very well before adding to the test tube
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Yesterday evening it was 0. or anyway it was closest to the color of 0.
    I shaked the crap out of that bottle for 1 straight minute before adding it. My arm was hurting lol :D

I forgot to say i am using Tetra AquaSafe to treat the tap water. We don't have Seachem Prime in Europe, or at least i didn't see it anywhere yet.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    You may be able to order Prime online, and have it shipped to you

I recommend it, if you can source it
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I would recommend adding too your filter media rather than replacing it. Replacing it will set you back, maybe entirely, in cycling. If you add too existing make sure you still have adequate water flow through the filtration systems. :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.mares View Post
    Yesterday evening it was 0. or anyway it was closest to the color of 0.
    I shaked the crap out of that bottle for 1 straight minute before adding it. My arm was hurting lol :D

I forgot to say i am using Tetra AquaSafe to treat the tap water. We don't have Seachem Prime in Europe, or at least i didn't see it anywhere yet.
    What about Kordon Amquel? Or maybe Ammo-lok?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   

1 Not allowed!
    Adding my two cents worth -- if you only allowed your tank to cycle fishless for one week, using only fish food during that time, it didn't complete its cycle to begin with. When you removed all the water, put in new gravel, etc., you killed off whatever cycling bacteria was forming. You started your cycle from scratch. You tank isn't cycled, yet. Since you already have fish in it, you'll need to do frequent water changes and siphon your existing gravel, avoid overfeeding, and change out the carbon in your filter for more biobeads for the bacteria to grow on. The carbon is only to remove medications or other chemicals from the tank, and unless you've added those, you really don't need it.

One week is seldom long enough for a tank to completely cycle, even when using filter media from a cycled tank that already had the beneficial bacteria on it. It still can take awhile.

Just keep doing the water changes, but don't remove all of the tank water, and don't take out anymore gravel. The BB is growing on all surfaces inside your tank as well as in your filter. Removing too much can disrupt the process.

Are you dechlorinating any new water before it goes into the tank? Seachem's Prime is the best product for that, in my opinion and in the experience of many others here.

Good luck. With some diligent maintenance and some patience, your fish should come through this. I'm sure you now realize the value of researching extensively before setting up an aquarium.
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    So i arrived home after work and proceeded to do a 50% WC.
    I also vacuumed the sand while the water was being extracted.

Then i treated the water which is what i always do, with the Tetra Aquasafe i have, and filled tank.

Waited about 20 min with filter and air bubble back on to agitate the water, and tested again.

Results:
    Ammonia: 0 (or at least less than 0.25 for sure, those two colours are hard to distinguish)
    Nitrites: 1ppm (definitely dropped, yey)
    Nitrates: 0, no doubt about it.

What should this mean in your opinion? And how should i proceed, keep doing 50% daily WC?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.mares View Post
    So i arrived home after work and proceeded to do a 50% WC.
    I also vacuumed the sand while the water was being extracted.

Then i treated the water which is what i always do, with the Tetra Aquasafe i have, and filled tank.

Waited about 20 min with filter and air bubble back on to agitate the water, and tested again.

Results:
    Ammonia: 0 (or at least less than 0.25 for sure, those two colours are hard to distinguish)
    Nitrites: 1ppm (definitely dropped, yey)
    Nitrates: 0, no doubt about it.

What should this mean in your opinion? And how should i proceed, keep doing 50% daily WC?
    Do another water change to bring it to 0.25ppm, so 75%. Make sure to dose enough water conditioner for the whole tank volume and not just the amount of water changed.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    i made another WC of 75% this time. then i left it over night and tested in the morning, so after about 9 hours.
    Nitrite level shows 0, i am positive the vial was sky blue. :)

Didn't test the other parameters as i was rushing to leave for work, but i'm happy with 0 Nitrites. i'll test everything else tonight after work.

So now if the tank is still cycling, i should see a spike in Nitrates i think.
    If there are no Nitrates and no nitrites and no ammonia, would that mean the tank is cycled? maybe it was just some unusually high nitrite spike?