· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

0 Not allowed!
    Get a heater controller and the frustration with heaters nearly disappear.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas to You and Yours! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Win or lose, here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Cheers! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    If you're going to keep discus, it's probably worth it.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I am so sorry for your loss. It is one of my fears that a heater will malfunction like that. It's why I has a thermostat attached to my in line heater.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    Get a heater controller and the frustration with heaters nearly disappear.
    Is there such a thing as a master thermostat for controlling multiple tanks/heaters set at same temp?
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    I am so sorry for your loss. It is one of my fears that a heater will malfunction like that. It's why I has a thermostat attached to my in line heater.

Is there such a thing as a master thermostat for controlling multiple tanks/heaters set at same temp?

It's called a room heater.

Heater controllers only come with 1 probe.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Lol, makes sense.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by discusluv View Post
    The heater was stuck on 94 degrees!
    What a nightmare to come home to. I am so sorry for your losses.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    I am so sorry you came home to that and sorry for your losses :( That's the worst thing to come home to. I'm glad your discus and plecos are ok and hope they make full recovery.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    What's with these heaters being so temperamental? One would think the most vital piece of equipment for a tropical tank, even more so than a filter, would be designed and manufactured to be reliable. Is it shoddy craftmanship, or what? And to have one that is so complicated to calibrate that you need a PhD to figure it out is, in my opinion, a totally useless piece of junk.

I'm sure glad I have cold water tanks that don't require heaters. I think having one would drive me crazy, with all the issues that occur with them.
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    A good reliable heater is definitely a no1 priority. I have Fluval and Eheim heaters and find they've been very reliable IME. My Fluval heaters are old and not even produced anymore, so I'll leave them out of a recommendation. And agreed, the Eheims are difficult to caliber, but once they are, they've been spot on reliable, perfect consistent temperature. Definitely worth familiarizing yourself on how to calibrate IMO

Fyi (I purposely change the temp 2 degrees for certain times of year).

A little tip, I like to have just what I need. I keep lower wattage heaters so there's less chance they can actually overheat. I mean a 100w heater on a 40g can only heat it so much right?

I have had the tanks go cold because a prefilter clogged up or something, but colder isn't as bad. Sorry discusluv :(

But if you're looking for reliable (which is really important to me), my go-to is Eheim. I've had mine for 15 years, some bought second hand and so old they don't have a calibration option!
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 02-06-2019 at 03:11 AM.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family :-) - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you too! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Congrats! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I bought 2 heaters after this mishap - 1 backup for emergencies ( the Aqueon) and 1 digital with temp controller.

This heater will go on tank:

https://www.marinedepot.com/JBJ_True...IHTTH-vi.html#

Hopefully, this will not happen again. :(