· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ammonia Spike

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For doing a fine job with your first tank. - Slaphppy7   

Default Ammonia Spike

0 Not allowed!
    I moved my fish into a new 75g from a 36g on 1/12. I used the old substrate and put the old media into my new fluval 406. I tested every day for the first week and everything was fine. I tested two days ago everything fine again. I just now tested and my ammonia is 0.25ppm. Why would this happen? I did not get any new fish. I did add a little fresh sand to it 2 days ago and moved the output nozzle on my filter lower in the water because it was too noisy. I also added some fluval polishing pads to the filter after rinsing them in tank water. My other water parameters are stable for the past year and a half: Nitrate somewhere between 0 and 5.0ppm, 0 Nitrite, 7.5 Ph. (All using API aster Kit) I am very upset about this ammonia spike. Did I do something wrong or is this normal? I know any ammonia is bad so what should I do? Water change and how much?
    I Am A Freshwater Fish In A Saltwater World
    Be The Rainbow In Someone Else's Cloud

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Large water change, treat with enough Prime for the entire tank volume (7.5 ml)

Not sure why you got the ammonia spike, sounds like you did everything right

What is the ammonia reading for your tap water?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

1 Not allowed!
    When you added the polishing pads, did you remove the old ones? Or where there no polishing pads to begin with?

When you moved the nozzle, is it still causing a large ripple current effect on the surface?

What happened to the old filter?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I left the old pads in and just added new ones. My old filter was an HOB so I just took the Media out of it and put it into the canister. There is not a lot of surface movement since I moved the nozzle down. I do have a large rock airstone in the tank that causes some surface air bubbles Could the minimal surface movement cause the spike in ammonia? I am going to test again right now and then do a water change if ammonia still present.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KoryKat View Post
    I left the old pads in and just added new ones. My old filter was an HOB so I just took the Media out of it and put it into the canister. There is not a lot of surface movement since I moved the nozzle down. I do have a large rock airstone in the tank that causes some surface air bubbles Could the minimal surface movement cause the spike in ammonia? I am going to test again right now and then do a water change if ammonia still present.
    If the oxygen content went down, it will deprive existing BB of the oxygen they need, and in effect cause some to become dormant or die off. Point the submerged nozzle up towards the surface so that there is a larger ripple effect.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I moved the nozzle so there is surface movement again. I tested the water and it appears to be a little below 0.25 ppm so it is less than last night. Will the increased surface agitation solve the problem or do I still need to do a huge water change? My plan is to test again in an hour and see how the level of ammonia is. Is this okay or should I proceed with a large water change? Thank you

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    You can watch and wait...if the fish seem fine, check again tomorrow.

Also would not hurt to add some Prime to the tank in the meantime, to neutralize the ammonia

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I will add some Prime right now. I will also check ammonia again in a bit The fish seem fine and show no signs of distress. I feel stupid because I knew the BB needed surface agitation. You and Rocksor taught me better! The tank is in my den and the flow from the output nozzle is very noisy so that's why I submerged it. Better to have some noise than dead fish! As always, you all are the greatest!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    No problem

If you angle the outflow just right, and your water level is high enough, you shouldn't be getting much noise

Is it a nozzle, or a spraybar?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    It is a nozzle. It's the one that comes with a Fluval 406 canister. I will try adjusting it again without submerging it. Would a spray bar be better?