· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Thread: Altum Angels

Hybrid View

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family :-) - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you too! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Congrats! - Slaphppy7   

Default Altum Angels

5 Not allowed!
    I made a video of the Altums a few days ago to mark three weeks that I have had them. They are doing excellent-- have started to regrow tattered fins from transportation stress and missing scales have repaired themselves. These guys love the Stendkers, follow them around the tank and wait to pick up food that the discus strew about when feeding. It is really hilarious. I am enamored by their curious/brave little nature :)

They will stay in this tank until they put a couple more inches on them and then will be moved ionto the 180 gallon to have more room.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

2 Not allowed!
    They look great in that tank, even though it is temporary
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a frontosa, to start your collection - Slaphppy7   4 the help - rookie   

1 Not allowed!
    One of my favorite fish!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   Celebrating your amazing restoration work! - showmebutterfly   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    I'm glad that you were able to get them! I agree with slap, they go well in that tank!
    "They had learned to speak, and so had won their first great victory over Time. Now the knowledge of one generation could be handed on to the next, so that each age could profit from those that had gone before." 2001: A Space Odyssey
    Arthur C. Clark

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family :-) - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you too! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Congrats! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    I wish i could keep them in this tank, but it is a 60 gallon cube tank, dont know how happy they would be long-term.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    I'm such a fan of angels although I don't have any currently. These look so cute next to the beautiful discus, which I also love. I'm not in a position to keep these species so I'll just enjoy watching yours.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

4 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SueD View Post
    I'm such a fan of angels although I don't have any currently. These look so cute next to the beautiful discus, which I also love. I'm not in a position to keep these species so I'll just enjoy watching yours.
    I was not at all prepared to become such taken by them. I have never had angels before.
    It is the behaviors- they are one of the most interactive fish I have had. Its funny because its like they watch me to see what I am doing... I tell them to quit being so "nosy". My little "nosey-ettas" I call them.
    I think there is a real synchronicity between Angels and Discus. Ever since I have added the Angels to the Stendkers tank they have been more calm. They are very prone to sudden dashes across the tank when they see shadows anywhere near the tank. More so then my Alenquers.
    Another interesting behavior is the way the Angels trail the discus at feeding time, waiting for the discus to grab the food and spread it about or take some food in and spit part of it out. Discus have very small mouths so they often grab more than they need and the excess gets shaken off or spit out. This interested me so much that I looked on the internet and found several articles discussing this activity. It appears that Angels do this in the wild as well; actually, they also eat what the discus regurgitate as well. Chewing, having to much in the mouth, and spitting out.
    At night, when the lights go out, they huddle very close, just under the discus pair. Fascinating! they realize that they are small, the discus are large but harmless to them; so, they are a good cover for any threat of nighttime predators. Because, of course, even in an aquarium this innate survival mechanism still is in the :on position."

Another behavior--- constant picking all day long: on glass, substrate, the prefilter, at my excess of assassin snails ( the do no harm to them that I can see). Are they eating little micro-organisms, copepods? (shrug).