· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Altum Angels

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family :-) - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you too! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Congrats! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    Beautiful! So majestic!

I like the wild Urubu, nice choice! Very natural looking :) The wilds are much pricier huh? Guess it's always like that.

Are you using RO? What does your source water test at? My TDS is around the 110 mark. It rises after adding Prime. Do you use Prime? I'm just curious. Or maybe less tannins?
    The wilds are not always pricier. Actually, they can be cheaper then domestics in some cases. The wild juveniles tend to be more expensive then domestics, however. This basically because of the difficulty in sourcing.

I dont use RO water; but, my water out of the tap is pretty well suited to both the discus and Altums. If I want to breed either, however, will need to lower the Ph. I think that this is why my discus spawns end up not being viable despite being fertilized- need to get that number around 6.5.

TDS is 85-115 depending on time of year.
    Ph- 7.4
    KH 3
    GH 5

I do use Prime. I didnt realize it raised TDS.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family :-) - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you too! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Congrats! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    What a serene tank, your fish are beauties! The Urubu will be a gorgeous addition, love the striations and contrasting patterning on it.
    Thank you .

I really do love my fish. As I am sure you do as well with the efforts you are putting into your fish-room.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by discusluv View Post
    The wilds are not always pricier. Actually, they can be cheaper then domestics in some cases. The wild juveniles tend to be more expensive then domestics, however. This basically because of the difficulty in sourcing.

I dont use RO water; but, my water out of the tap is pretty well suited to both the discus and Altums. If I want to breed either, however, will need to lower the Ph. I think that this is why my discus spawns end up not being viable despite being fertilized- need to get that number around 6.5.

TDS is 85-115 depending on time of year.
    Ph- 7.4
    KH 3
    GH 5

I do use Prime. I didnt realize it raised TDS.
    Omg our tap water is so similar! Mine is
    pH 7.4
    KH 2
    GH 2
    TDS 40-80

Interesting about the pH and viable eggs. It's it because they fungus over? Tannins will add to TDS as well. The softer the water, the more you'll notice the increase.

I've considered using another method to remove chloramine for my fry tanks. My manicipality says they use chlorine, not chloramine, so technically I don't need Prime right? Just off gas for 24 hours?

Also they use phosphates to raise pH. Which is not ideal either. Idk. It was just a thought.
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 06-07-2019 at 05:36 PM.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    The eggs calcify. This calcification makes the egg not viable and the discus eat them.