· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Too much filtration?

0 Not allowed!
    I'm new to the group here so please be nice. I've had aquariums for many years and currently have three setups. My 55 gallon south American tank is driving me crazy. I have brown and green algae and can't seem to figure out why.

There's only 4 SA in there with a few Cory cats, a pleco, and about 10 Nerite snails. This tank has an insane amount of filtration at this point and still the algae persists. Below is the setup. Can you give me some advice on what to do?

Fluval FX4 with black and white diamond media plus Purigen and Phosguard.
    Fluval 406 with a massive amount of carbon, ammonia remover, and more phosguard with an inline Turbotwist 18w UV light.

Water temperature is 80 and according to the master test kit, the water is perfect. I don't know what else to do at this point. The room has no sunlight at all. Below are the readings I'm seeing when testing.

There are about 10 Marimo moss balls in there and they are nice and green. The light is a Current USA LED model 4007 48" and is on about 8 hours a day. I can try cutting down the food that I give them but they seem to munch it all up before it hits the bottom.

I thought the crazy amount of filtration and the UV light would have kept everything away but something isn't right.

Ammonia-0 ppm
    PH-7.6/7.8
    Nitrite-0 ppm
    Nitrate- 0 ppm (I've seen 5 ppm 2-3 times) I test every week.
    Phosphate- 0 ppm

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

0 Not allowed!
    post a pic so we get an idea of what type of algae you are talking about.

How much are you feeding the fish and how often? A pic of the feeding amount would help.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family :-) - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you too! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Congrats! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    It may just be a matter of too much light. That you need to cut down on the photo-period.
    How long is the light on?

If you wanted, you could add some plants to the tank so that instead of growing algae the plants will get the benefit of the light.
    Maybe try adding some Valisneris, crypt spiralis, and swords in background and some crypts in foreground.
    If added more plants, would need to at least add some root tabs to base to encourage healthy growth.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks guys for the assistance. I'm going to try cutting the light for awhile and see if that helps. The 10 Marimo moss balls in there that seem to be ok. Is there any media or other tricks I can try to get more nitrates out of the water? I bought a new kit and it's giving me somewhere around 10-20ppm with a water change a week ago tomorrow. I assumed the UV light would kill the algae, is that not the case?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family :-) - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you too! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Congrats! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Water changes are the best way to get rid of nitrates. Just do some daily water changes over a week period at the same time you turn down the photo-period. You should see a difference very fast.

A UV light will help with algae, but only up to a certain point.

Marimo balls are just java moss- they do not need much light- so any excess light is just feeding the algae.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    That's good to know, I appreciate the help.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Marimo balls are actually a form of algae, not moss

https://ballsofmoss.com/

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SueD View Post
    Marimo balls are actually a form of algae, not moss

https://ballsofmoss.com/
    Oh really? LOL! Thanks for setting me straight.

Now I know why they never appealed to me.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by discusluv View Post
    Oh really? LOL! Thanks for setting me straight.

Now I know why they never appealed to me.

That's interesting. I'm thinking about removing them, they're starting to bug me.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Miabean View Post
    That's interesting. I'm thinking about removing them, they're starting to bug me.
    I find they can look good in particular tanks if they are artistically displayed. But, it is pictures where I see these really fabulous aquascapes that have a contemporary feel. Sorta a Japanese Zen look. Which is difficult and costly to replicate for the home aquarist..