· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For doing a fine job with your first tank. - Slaphppy7   

Default Going from 36g to 75 g

0 Not allowed!
    Hi. I'm not sure if this should be a new thread or not, but here goes. I discovered that my 36g bowfront has a crack in the front and was told in another post that it would probably get worse. I just got home with a 75g new tank and a 406 Fluval Canister filter. My question is can I put my old substrate in the new tank, my old tank water from the cracked 36g into the new 75g, and the filter media from my old hob into the new canister filter, will I be able to add my fish as well once everything is up and running in the new tank? Or do I have to completely do a fishless cycle in the new tank? Will the old media, substrate, and water be enough so the new tank does not have to cycle from the very beginning? I am very worried about the old tank leaking or breaking all together as the crack has gone sideways as of a couple of hours ago. Thank You
    I Am A Freshwater Fish In A Saltwater World
    Be The Rainbow In Someone Else's Cloud

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   Celebrating your amazing restoration work! - showmebutterfly   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    If you wanted someone could move this thread to the journals section, and you can use it to ask any questions that come up along the way!
    "They had learned to speak, and so had won their first great victory over Time. Now the knowledge of one generation could be handed on to the next, so that each age could profit from those that had gone before." 2001: A Space Odyssey
    Arthur C. Clark

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, that's fine, sounds like a plan. Just test tomorrow and daily for ammonia and nitrite. You can move the fish in right away with the old substrate and filter media. Make sure to dechlorinate any added water. Congrats on the new tank! A 75g is sweet! Post here if you happen to register ammonia or nitrite but I've started tanks as you are planning many times before, no problems. Do you have Prime water conditioner?
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 01-13-2019 at 06:36 AM.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Phew! What a relief to know my idea was okay because the website was down this morning and I just went ahead and put the old water, old substrate, and old filter media in the tank and put the fish in. The tank is currently 3/4 of the way full of water with a majority of it being the old 36g water. I did put alternating tap(de-chlorinated with prime) and RO into the 75g just like when I did weekly water changes on the 36g. Is it best to leave it like it is now or just fill it up. Not sure if less water would allow my bacteria time to re-coup itself to deal with the increased water volume. I will test first thing tomorrow. Finally how do I move this thread to the journal section because I have a feeling I will have a few more questions. I have a journal from a while ago so I'm not sure if the new tank should be added to it or if a whole new journal should be made. As always, you are all awesome and thank you

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    You should have no problem filling the tank up completely. When I upgraded from a 26g to a 40g, I used all new substrate, new décor/plants, and all new water. I brought the old filter over with its seeded media intact, and added a 2nd new filter. Fish went in right after setup with no problem. Just watch water parameters for a few days, but you've brought over even more good bacteria than I did by using your existing substrate as well as filter media. All should be good for your fish.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I just tested the water and all parameters good. ) 0 ammonia,0 Nitrites, Nitrate 5, ph 7.8. Those numbers are the same for the last year and a half. I will keep testing everyday for the next week and fill the rest of the way today. two questions: How often do I need to clean my Fluval 406? I was told once a month and I know the media gets cleaned in tank water. Also, do I still need to do weekly gravel cleaning and 25% water changes? or can it be done every other week? My tank is very understocked right now. I am (well I was) in the process of cycling a 20g quarantine tank so I can buy new fish. Thanks again everyone. You all taught me well with my first tank so this one is a little less stressful for me

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   Celebrating your amazing restoration work! - showmebutterfly   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I would just monitor your nitrates and go from there. With your stock you may be able to get away with every two weeks if your nitrates are staying low.

As for your filter once a month seems pretty suitable. I clean mine once a week when I do my water change, but that's just because it's pretty easy to do. Mine is mostly filled with biological filtration so I pull that out, rinse out my sponges in the water that is in the filter container, and then throw everything back in, fill it back up with water in the tank. I'll replace a sponge every now and then when I notice one starting to deteriorate.
    "They had learned to speak, and so had won their first great victory over Time. Now the knowledge of one generation could be handed on to the next, so that each age could profit from those that had gone before." 2001: A Space Odyssey
    Arthur C. Clark