· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

2 Not allowed!
    Congrats on your new tank! Yes, just set it up in its new home and transfer everything (décor, substrate, filters). You really don't need to transfer the water into your new tank though, beyond using it to keep your stock in and also keeping your media in while you work. Think of it as giving your tank a 100% water change.

You could pump the old tank's water into a bucket, put your fish into that as you catch them. I like to pull my media out and set it in a small bucket of old tank water when I am doing filter maintenance. Several members do something similar. Follow the procedure that you usually do, just make sure your media stays wet.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    I can't seem to edit my post (without it clearing out entirely) but wanted to add:
    Set up your new tank while your fish stay in the bucket for a little bit. Allow the filter to run and let the tank settle. It shouldn't take long at all - probably less than an hour. Then you can transfer your fish into their new home.

Congrats again on your new tank!
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   Celebrating your amazing restoration work! - showmebutterfly   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    If you monitor your tank closely for the first couple of weeks you should be fine moving your fish over right away. (This is as long as you move your filter media to the new tank)! There is a chance you could have a mini cycle, but it would be pretty easy to mitigate with prime and a water change.

If I were you I'd just throw your hob filter from your old tank on to the back of the 75g and then run both filters for a little while. That way you don't disturb as much of the bacteria when you make the move.

Also you can add the water from the old tank if you want, but it isn't necessary as long as the water parameters are close in both tanks. It may be worth putting some duct tape around your old tank for support until you get the change finished. Or at least removing some water from the tank to reduce pressure. I hope you can get things changed over before anything bad happens!

Congrats on the new tank! You will love the extra space!
    "They had learned to speak, and so had won their first great victory over Time. Now the knowledge of one generation could be handed on to the next, so that each age could profit from those that had gone before." 2001: A Space Odyssey
    Arthur C. Clark