· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For doing a fine job with your first tank. - Slaphppy7   

Default Hairline Cracks in front of tank

0 Not allowed!
    Hi. I have a 36g glass bowfront that I have had for about 2 years. I noticed a small hairline crack on the front of the tank about a year ago, but it never got any bigger. Today I just noticed 4 new ones on the front that were not there yesterday. I can not feel them on the outside, but they are visible. How compromised is my tank? Is this an emergency? I just started cycling a 20g yesterday so I can not put my fish in it until it cycles. I am very worried that the 36g will completely crack. How swiftly do I need to act to get a new 36g? Thanks
    I Am A Freshwater Fish In A Saltwater World
    Be The Rainbow In Someone Else's Cloud

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

They got it done, yay! ;-) - Taurus   Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Are you sure they are cracks, and not scratches?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For doing a fine job with your first tank. - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I am pretty sure they are not scratches. I can't feel anything on the outside and I only use a soft cloth to clean the glass. Also, they are all vertical.
    I Am A Freshwater Fish In A Saltwater World
    Be The Rainbow In Someone Else's Cloud

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    The front of a bowfront tank is acrylic, but i'm not sure how it works with cracks. Maybe someone else knows for sure.

I wouldn't chance it though. You can transfer the filter in the 36g and all the fish to the 20g to be safe and test conditions daily. You could also transfer decor, substrate, anything that might hold nitrifying bacteria. The last thing you need is a big flood and your fish in the floor. If you transfer the filter with the fish at the same time, there's a good chance you won't see much of an ammonia spike if any. I've started new tanks up and added fish this way without a hiccup many times. Just make sure to test just in case.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a cory for all your great pics ;-) - steeler58   Have a cory for all your great pics ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    The front of a bowfront tank is acrylic, but i'm not sure how it works with cracks. Maybe someone else knows for sure.

I wouldn't chance it though. You can transfer the filter in the 36g and all the fish to the 20g to be safe and test conditions daily. You could also transfer decor, substrate, anything that might hold nitrifying bacteria. The last thing you need is a big flood and your fish in the floor. If you transfer the filter with the fish at the same time, there's a good chance you won't see much of an ammonia spike if any. I've started new tanks up and added fish this way without a hiccup many times. Just make sure to test just in case.
    Uhhh doubting if that is correct (acrilic)?
    No Cory, No Glory !!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Not all bow fronts are acrylic. I had a 26g that was glass.

I wouldn't take a chance, though, as others have said, especially as you've seen 4 new ones. It appears that there is some stress developing on the tank. As Angelcraze said, transfer the filter with the fish to the other tank and you should not have an issue. I've done that when upgrading tanks with no loss of fish.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDutch View Post
    Uhhh doubting if that is correct (acrilic)?
    Oh I am corrected, I really thought they all were acrylic. I don't know enough about glass to know how they bend it that much for a tall tank. Sorry.
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 01-12-2019 at 04:51 PM.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a cory for all your great pics ;-) - steeler58   Have a cory for all your great pics ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Oh I am corrected, I really thought they all were acrylic. I don't know enough about glass to know how they bend it that much for a tall tank.
    I don't either hahaha.
    Think they don't bend it.
    No Cory, No Glory !!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDutch View Post
    I don't either hahaha.
    Think they don't bend it.
    But how do you have a bowed front without bending the glass?
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    But how do you have a bowed front without bending the glass?
    pourit in a mold (is this English?)
    No Cory, No Glory !!