· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

Default What's with these shortages?

0 Not allowed!
    We're living in the most affluent country in the world, yet some basic medications have become increasingly difficult to get. I always try to refill my prescription for my glaucoma drops while I still have a supply left, and have always been able to get them in the past. Now, my regular pharmacy doesn't have any, doesn't know when they'll be getting any in stock, and can't tell me why. They've looked up their suppliers, and they don't have any estimates of when they'll be getting them in. Even the manufacturers aren't sure when they'll be available. Other pharmacies are having the same difficulty.

Ditto with some other prescriptions.

What's with all these sudden shortages? Anyone have a clue? One would expect this sort of thing in Venezuela and some other third-world nations, but not here...
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thanks for being a cool guy and a big help to others - bpete   New fish ;-) - steeler58   They got it done, yay! ;-) - Taurus   Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Well, that's shockingly enlightening. According to the graph, opthamology drugs have the lowest percentage of shortages, and that would include glaucoma drops. Even though it's only at 5%, evidently, my brand is among that 5%, which isn't helpful for my needs.

What's really shocking is the high percentage of shortages of emergency care drugs, and drugs to treat infectious diseases. 80-some percent for the emergency care drugs, 71% for infectious disease treatments. That category largely consists of antibiotics.

And the painkillers are also among the high shortages. I know there's an opiate crisis with a lot of people becoming addicted, but that isn't fair to those who responsibly use those medications, and legitimately need them.

Something is glaringly wrong with this picture.

Fortunately, I only have two prescriptions, and I don't use any narcotics. There are other, safer ways to deal with aches and pains that don't involve drugs and are still quite effective. I actually prefer those.

But those shortages of the necessary life-saving drugs, including cancer drugs, are inexcusable. The article says manufacturers are largely to blame, and that price gouging occurs. Some just discontinue making them, altogether, because something else comes along that's more profitable for them. That sounds like greed. Shame on them! Putting profits before public health!

If worse comes to worse, my opthalmologist could probably prescribe a different glaucoma drop. But I LIKE the ones I've been using, because they're soothing and don't irritate my eyes, AND the WORK. My eye exams have all been great, with pressures down in the safe range every time. I've had other brands that haven't been as effective, so really don't wish to switch.

Glaucoma, left untreated or ineffectively treated, leads to blindness. I would expect that should weigh heavily on the shoulders of whoever is responsible for creating these shortages.

Just one more example of how our healthcare system needs a thorough overhauling.
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thanks for being a cool guy and a big help to others - bpete   New fish ;-) - steeler58   They got it done, yay! ;-) - Taurus   Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Pharma is BIG BUSINESS, greed is just a small part of it.

They've always put $ before public health, and they'd rather cures for diseases NOT to be discovered.

Sad, but true.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    I was finally able to get my drops from a neighboring pharmacy that had some in stock. A lucky break. Still, these shortages, at least in part manufactured, are scary. No one can help the natural disasters that make materials unavailable, but deliberately discontinuing vital medications for the sheer sake of profit is, in my opinion, borderline criminal. The article mentions one person who is suspected to have died from sepsis because she couldn't get the drugs she needed. People shouldn't be losing their lives because of corporate greed. What has happened to basic ethics and morality in the big-business world? Or, has there ever been any?

I was lucky, and next time I'll be sure to place my refill order much sooner, now that I know its availability is so iffy.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas to You and Yours! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Win or lose, here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    I have had to switch pharmacies 3 times in the past year in order to get my prescribed glaucoma medication. I guess I've been fairly lucky in that the pharmacies have called others in the area to see if they had the medication on hand. One of those pharmacies is now out of business so my choices are getting limited. It is inconvenient at times I will agree.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Right now, it's inconvenient. If things get bad enough that nobody can supply it, it's either get prescribed a different brand or go without. The latter is not an option in the case of glaucoma -- it's keep one's sight or lose it. There are good quality drops that work, and those that irritate the heck out of one's eyes, and don't work that well. I've had both kinds.