· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default GE Silicone 1 FYI

0 Not allowed!
    A lot of people have been asking about silicone for the aquariums. Going by the many recommendations across the internet I used GE 100% Silicone 1. After someone pointed out to me the under the instructions it says "Not for underwater/aquarium use", for my own peace of mind, I contacted Momentive (manufacturer who makes it for GE). Their response was: "We would recommend removing the silicone. It is not designed for aquarium/below water line use because it may fail when submerged for continual use and harm your fish". What they mean by fail, I don't know, breakdown, crumble, lose adhesion? Since it's not in a critical area (used to glue a divider in a tank), I'm going to just keep an eye on it, but I will not be using it again in any of my aquariums. Take it or leave it, this is my opinion.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you . - gadget228   thanks for being a cool guy and a big help to others - bpete   New fish ;-) - steeler58   They got it done, yay! ;-) - Taurus   Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for sharing your experience with this product.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I suspect the failing portion is that your tank will leak eventually when used for the outside panels due to the water pressure. I don't see an issue with using it for dividers, decoration, etc, as long as you let it cure for 2 weeks (1 week is really pushing it). The Momentiv RTV1000 series is made to keep glass side stuck together as the water of your tank tries to push out.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    A lot of times, they say this for liability reasons. If it fails and a fish chokes on a piece, they don't want the aquarist to sue them. It's the same with using water conditioner products from different companies simultaneously. The companies always say they haven't tested the competitors product.

Pretty sure 100% silicone is 100% safe, just I wouldn't be advertising it for aquariums that can fail due to consumer misuse or whatever, just too much margin for error when you don't know what you are doing to cover everyone.

I used it in my tank to secure a rock cave. The silicone is always visible, so don't use too much and eventually it came loose the way I did it. I didn't leave it cure for 2 weeks. But I can't see a difference in the silicone itself from silicone sold for aquatic purposes.
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 01-11-2019 at 06:34 PM.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I got some silicone that was specifically for aquarium use, and I used it to attach some small, decorative rocks to a plant base. It stunk to high heaven for awhile, and I did let it cure for the amount of time they said to, and it still didn't adhere very well. It was a bear to work with, too. I sure wouldn't have tried to use it to seal a tank, even though it was supposed to be for that purpose.

Even following instructions, and using the "right" product, these things can be iffy. I would never use anything that specified it's not for aquarium or underwater use, even if they only say so to prevent liability. If they say don't use it, I don't. But I've found that even when they say you can, it still may not work very well.
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

2 Not allowed!
    Silicone is not soluble in water. It will not break down when submerged. That is the whole reason it is used for constructing/sealing the vast majority of modern aquariums.

As Kat said, the statement on the packaging is there as a disclaimer to protect themselves in the event that a person does not use the product responsibly and does a poor job at sealing/constructing their aquarium and then wants to blame someone else when their poor craftsmanship results in a structural failure.

There are thousands and thousands of reefers, including myself, who use GE 100% Type 1 for the construction of a lot of their saltwater setups and have zero issues. It is by far the most-used silicone in the aquarium community. It does not break down when submerged, even in saltwater. Using it to secure dividers and baffles in tanks/sumps is completely safe because the water pressure is essentially equal on both sides of the baffles, plus or minus a small difference due to water flow.

That being said, if you want to build a really large glass aquarium that holds 100+ gallons of water, I would personally use a more adhesive silicone like RTV100 that is much more tacky and can easily support 1000+lbs of water pushing on the walls of the tank.
    Last edited by BluewaterBoof; 01-11-2019 at 08:25 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Ooooh thanks for that André :) Never knew about the RVT100 adhesive silicone. That may come in really handy.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat