· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Bolivian Ram Fun Facts

0 Not allowed!
    Hi, I have a 20 gallon long aquarium with a bolivian ram, 6 black skirts, and a SAE. I'm wondering, are there any tips on bolivian rams? Or just cool experiences anyone's had with them. I've had the tank running for about 6 months now, so ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, e.t.c. are all stable. I'm using well water (dechlorinated) for water changes and the pH stays around 8.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Welcome. Never kept rams, but have had SAE.

Just a fun fact on the SAE-they are social and grow up to be a big fish at 6". You may want to get a bigger tank for him or re-home him. They are also a "river" fish and prefer currents and well oxygenated clean waters.
    Two 5.5g- Shrimp tanks; 1st with Bloody Mary and Rose shrimp and 2nd with Blue Dream shrimp
    Two-55 gallon tubs, 1st w/ 1BN pleco male, 3 clown pleco, gouramis, kuhli and female betta; 2nd w/female BN pleco, albino, panda and pgymy corys, and male betta.
    One tub with 90% plants and one Diva-pea puffer.

75g-now the TUB tanks:
    5.5 G Shrimp Tanks
    75g-Goldfish Tank

DebinWhitmore

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I'm planning to upgrade to a 55 gallon, but he's only about an inch right now.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Or a 40b. The 20 has an amazon sword, some java fern, and micro sword.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I've heard that sae's can be kept alone or in groups, and would he be fine in the high pH water?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    HI, welcome to the AC! It's just that the SAE gets large and aggressive as they mature. Not sure if they eat algae all their lives or not.

I keep GBRs and GBR morphs, but never Bolivian. I can't think of any fun facts atm, but I love rams, they are one of my favorite fishes.

Bolivian rams were considered easier to keep than GBR, maybe because they like a slightly higher pH naturally, but GBR seem to adapt just fine to a pH in the mid 7s as long as water is not too alkaline or hard.

I have to make sure mine are getting enough food because they can be timid and outcompeted for food against little piggies like tetras.

I like to keep 3 females to 1 male because when they are not spawning, I often see the male relentlessly chasing the female. When there are more females to break up the relentless chasing and spread it around, the spawning female isn't as stressed.

They like to spawn on flat horizontal surfaces like slate rock resting on the substrate.

They will eat from your fingers if trained to. Nice social fish, but can be timid.

I think that's all I can think of atm.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat