· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Because I back our Blue...thanks for your service - Silbar   Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   Have another angel fish... - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

Default DIY Sliding Glass Lids

3 Not allowed!
    After while searching for new lids, everywhere I looked people were complaining about the plastic hinges on "hinged" lids breaking after a few years. I decided to make my own glass lids.

First, I knew I wanted them to slide front to back (back to front in my case) so after measuring the width and length I added 3/4" to the length to allow for an overlap. I picked up the glass at my local Lowes and had them cut the 4 pieces to size. I then went to the wall board area and found "outside corner moulding" for wall board. It has a groove to place one pane of glass in that won't be the "slider".

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Sequentia-0...ulding/4768283

The one thing Lowe's doesn't do is smooth the VERY sharp edges of the cut glass for you. I just took a block of wood and regular sand paper (200 grit I believe, but 100 would work as well) and sanding the edges until they weren't sharp. Don't forget the corners also! Take one pane and place each side into the channel on the moulding, then set it on the tank. The other pane (the slider) is placed on top of the moulding. I decided to add handles to the "sliders" and picked up a pair at my LFS as well as 4ft of clear back edging. I decided to silicone the back edging to the "sliders".

In total I think this project cost me around $20 for both sides of the tank and about 2hrs total time, including the trip to Lowes.
    * 100gal show
    - planted w/ Crypts, Vals, Java Fern, Staurogyne repens and Amazon Swords
    - Neons, 4 Angelfish, Sunset Honey Gourami, BN Pleco, Spotted Sailfin
    Pleco, Odessa Barbs, Corydoras schwartzi, Serpae Tetras, Silver tip tetras
    * Fluval Spec V
    - Dwarf Gourami, , 1 Kuhli loach, 2 Black Phantom Tetras
    - planted w/ Crypts

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thanks for being a cool guy and a big help to others - bpete   New fish ;-) - steeler58   They got it done, yay! ;-) - Taurus   Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

2 Not allowed!
    Nice DIY thread, thanks for taking the time to share.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    I agree, thanks for sharing. I want to do this to most of our 10 gallon tanks. We tried to cut the glass ourselves but had a massive failure. Getting them cut at the hardware store is much smarter. Hope you can upload some photos of your project soon.
    Two 5.5g- Shrimp tanks; 1st with Bloody Mary and Rose shrimp and 2nd with Blue Dream shrimp
    Two-55 gallon tubs, 1st w/ 1BN pleco male, 3 clown pleco, gouramis, kuhli and female betta; 2nd w/female BN pleco, albino, panda and pgymy corys, and male betta.
    One tub with 90% plants and one Diva-pea puffer.

75g-now the TUB tanks:
    5.5 G Shrimp Tanks
    75g-Goldfish Tank

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Because I back our Blue...thanks for your service - Silbar   Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   Have another angel fish... - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    I agree, thanks for sharing. I want to do this to most of our 10 gallon tanks. We tried to cut the glass ourselves but had a massive failure. Getting them cut at the hardware store is much smarter. Hope you can upload some photos of your project soon.
    The first 3 cuts by Lowes is free. I can't remember how much it was for each additional cut but it wasn't a big amount.

I'll try to get some pics uploaded later today after work!
    * 100gal show
    - planted w/ Crypts, Vals, Java Fern, Staurogyne repens and Amazon Swords
    - Neons, 4 Angelfish, Sunset Honey Gourami, BN Pleco, Spotted Sailfin
    Pleco, Odessa Barbs, Corydoras schwartzi, Serpae Tetras, Silver tip tetras
    * Fluval Spec V
    - Dwarf Gourami, , 1 Kuhli loach, 2 Black Phantom Tetras
    - planted w/ Crypts