· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by AmazonJoe View Post
    So I'll first say I have a bit of first hand experience with glofish I worked for about a year or so on their R and D facility :)

The fins don't look bad at all and thats a nice shot to by the way lol the long fin variety are weak genetically just because in order to develop those long fins they had to be line bred for several generations however with that said normal issues would be developmental factors like deformations which would be very obvious. From the picture the fish is in good health nice belly and color the reason of the broken fins is likely from fin nips tetras actually have a natural forage strategy in the wild to eat the fins of others and not only that but they also establish hierarchy system in which the males constantly either battle each other for dominance or court the females all of which involves chasing and fin nips lol
    I thought I'd give an update to help the next person.
    I believe it is genetics as the above poster mentioned.
    It's been a few months and the fins still look the same. The fish has grown bigger and appears to be healthy.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Good to see from your update that all is well with your fish. Hope your son is still enjoying the tank.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SueD View Post
    Good to see from your update that all is well with your fish. Hope your son is still enjoying the tank.
    Thanks.
    Everything's going well with the glofish tank, and I'm very happy that I got a 20gal tank instead of 10gal following this forum's recommendations.

We even added 2 guppies (a male and female pair) to the tank. Unfortunately, the frys always just disappear after 2-3 weeks (eaten?). I bought a breeder box that hooks to the side of the tank... so I'll try to transfer the next batch of frys that I see.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gold View Post
    Thanks.
    Everything's going well with the glofish tank, and I'm very happy that I got a 20gal tank instead of 10gal following this forum's recommendations.

We even added 2 guppies (a male and female pair) to the tank. Unfortunately, the frys always just disappear after 2-3 weeks (eaten?). I bought a breeder box that hooks to the side of the tank... so I'll try to transfer the next batch of frys that I see.
    Be careful what you wish for, lol, and have a plan if saving the fry. Years ago I was overrun with guppies from a single male/female pair I had in a 5.5g tank. I started to separated the females and transfer them to a new 10g tank, leaving the males in the 5.5g. As the breeding continued in the 10g I would transfer any males back to the 5.5g, which was quickly overstocked and even crashed once resulting in many deaths. It quickly filled up again, however. It was madness trying to separate the sexes all the time. A female guppy is mature at about 3 months, so breeding is very quick with these guys. And she can hold sperm and drop fry for several months after being separated from the males. It's a lot of fun in the beginning, but after a year or two, I finally gave up and brought all of my remaining guppies to my LFS. I was quite relieved to be guppy-free.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234